Best Ways to Change Excel Password
There can be many instances where you may want to change Excel password such as if it is password protected by someone else, or if you forgot the password or simply if you want to just change the password so that no one else can tamper with your workbook. In case you don’t know where to start, we are here to help you with it. In this article we will guide you to change your Excel password even if you don’t know the password as well. So, let’s get started…
Case 1: Change Excel Password when you know Password
You can set and change passwords in Excel easily. If you know your password and you just want to change your existing password for assurance and also to make sure no one else can hack your workbook, just follow the steps below:
- First, open Excel workbook.
- Open the required file for which you want to change the password.
- Simply tap on the 'Microsoft Office' button located on the top-left corner and again tap on 'Save As'.
- Now, from the newly opened dialog box, wipe out the existing password from the 'Password to open' box, and edit with a brand new password of your choice and tap on 'OK'.
- A 'Confirm Password' box will open-up now. Re-enter the new password again and just tap “OK”
- Finally, tap on the 'Save' button.
Case 2: Change Excel Password When You Don't Know Password
In case, the Excel file is password protected or you forgot the password and want to change it anyhow, there are some methods that can help. Here are some ways on how to change password in Excel when you don’t have or forgot the password:
Solution 1: Use ZIP software
You can simply use a zip software like 7-ZIP to change Excel password. It can help you unprotect your workbook so that you can edit or modify and eventually change the password whenever you want. Keep in mind, this only works in “.xlsx” format. In case, you have an “.xls” file, save it as “.xlsx” format and then open it.
- First, launch the archive with 7-ZIP.
- Now, open “xl->worksheets”. This will open all the worksheets in front of you. Select the sheet you want to unprotect and change password. Now, right-click, on the selected sheet and navigate to “Edit” and launch the sheet with Notepad
- You will see all the code on your screen. Carefully find and delete the tag named “sheetProtection”. Now, simply save and close the file.
- When prompted update the modified sheet in the ZIP archive and close it altogether.
This will unprotect your Excel sheet. Now you can simply open the sheet, edit or change your password according to your requirements. You can follow the procedure listed above in Case 1 to do it.
Solution 2: Use VBA Code
As you may know, VBA or Visual Basic for Application is a proper programming language used in Excel. These codes can do a lot of things to your Excel file. It can make your work easier by applying certain automated features. But what many of you don’t know is that it can unprotect your Excel sheet as well. And this means you can change or edit passwords whenever you feel like. Follow the steps below:
- Launch the Excel file and tap on “Alt” and “F11” at the same time on your keyboard. This will launch the Microsoft VBA window.
- Find and double-click on your required sheet, and carefully enter the code on the field provided without missing any character or letter.
- Now, go to "Run" and tap on "Run Macro" to run this entered code.
- Now you will be taken to your original worksheet with an alert prompt as “One usable password is xxxxxxxx”.
- Tap “Ok”
This will unprotect the Excel sheet and now you will be able to change password and modify the sheet without any issues. So, this is how you can change password on Excel file using VBA codes.
Solution 3: Use Free Online Excel Password Cracker
You can also use a free online Excel password cracker tool to unprotect and eventually change passwords. These online tools are effective and can help you change your Excel sheet password fast. You just need to upload your document, wait for some time and you will get your unlocked file. You can use Online Password Recovery for this. This is how to use it:
- Open the Online Password Recovery website from your browser
- Upload the file you want to change the password
- Select the approach and wait for some time and you will get the unlocked file. Just download it on your PC.
Now, you will be able to change the password on your unlocked Excel file easily.
Solution 4: Use PassFab for Excel
If you want to know the easiest way to change your password without having the actual password in Excel, we highly recommend you to go for PassFab for Excel. This is a professional Excel password unlocker that can unlock a protected Excel file in minutes and enable you to edit and modify the file whenever you want. It supports all versions of Excel from 1997 to 2013 and even 2016. Here’s how to use the PassFab for Excel tool:
- Download and install this Excel password reovery software from the official website.
- Launch the program and you will be greeted with the main interface.
- Now, tap on “Add” to upload the protected Excel file whose password you want to change.
You will now find 3 types of attack namely Brute-force Attack, Dictionary Attack and Brute-force with Mask and Dictionary. Choose one and proceed.
- 1. Brute-force attack: This attack checks every character individually to find password. This is the default option here.
- 2. Dictionary Attack: This attack will help if you a password dictionary already with you. This option has the best success rate.
- 3. Brute-force with Mask Attack: If you know anything or remember any letter about your password, you can get help with this option.
- After selecting the desired option, tap on “Start”
The process will end with a dialog box containing the password that will unlock your Excel workbook or spreadsheet. Now you can enter this password to modify your sheet and this is how to change Excel password to a new one.
So, here are the best ways on how to change password on Excel file. Whether you have the password or you don’t have the password for the Excel file, these methods cover both of the instances in details. Most of these methods unprotect your file at first, and then you can change or modify password following the general procedure stated in Case 1. If you want a straightforward method to unprotect and change your password, just go for the PassFab for Excel software with your eyes closed. It is extremely easy to use and works effectively and better than any of these methods listed here. Go for it!
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>