How to Open Excel File with/without Password
Microsoft Excel is used on a huge basis in the industry. People often try to encrypt an Excel file with a password. And, obviously, they need password to open Excel file. People tend to protect their file with a password in order to safeguard their data from the notorious attackers in the cyber world. And hence, the number of users using a password to protect their file is increasing day-by-day. If you are unable to open Excel file - it may be password protected. Today we will have a look on how to open Excel file with or without password. Let us begin.
There are only two ways to remove password in order to open an Excel file: with password and without password. Let us see how to open Excel file with password and without password.
Part 1. How to Open Excel with Password
If you have an Excel file protected with a password, then opening the file is as simple as it sounds (if you have the password).
Simply follow the steps given below to know how to open Excel with password.
- Step 1: Open the required file. This can be done in number of ways. You can simply double click the file to open it. Or you can right click the file and tap on Open. You can also open the file through command prompt by giving the specific directions.
- Step 2: The next and the final step will be obviously entering the password. If you attempt to open a password-protected file, you will see the following popup asking you to enter the password. This method is same for all types of Excel files such as Excel 2003, Excel 2013, and Excel 2016.
Part 2. How to Open Excel File without Password
Most of the times, users are concerned about opening a password-protected Excel file when they do not have a password or if they have forgotten the password. Here are the steps that you need to follow if you wish to remove password to open an Excel file.
- Step 1: Open the required Excel file. Now use the shortcut Alt + F11 to make the VBA window appear. As soon as the VBA window appears, click on the Insert tab present on the top.
- Step 2: Now, in the Insert tab, you will need to select the Module option to proceed further. Now copy-paste the below code in General window:
- Step 3: Press F5 for the code to run. A new popup will appear. Click on OK to close it. Your job is done and the password is removed. This method is same for all types of Excel files such as Excel 2003, Excel 2013, and Excel 2016.
'Breaks worksheet password protection.
Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer
Dim l As Integer, m As Integer, n As Integer
Dim i1 As Integer, i2 As Integer, i3 As Integer
Dim i4 As Integer, i5 As Integer, i6 As Integer
On Error Resume Next
For i = 65 To 66: For j = 65 To 66: For k = 65 To 66
For l = 65 To 66: For m = 65 To 66: For i1 = 65 To 66
For i2 = 65 To 66: For i3 = 65 To 66: For i4 = 65 To 66
For i5 = 65 To 66: For i6 = 65 To 66: For n = 32 To 126
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Chr(i) & Chr(j) & Chr(k) & _ Chr(l) & Chr(m) & Chr(i1) & Chr(i2) & Chr(i3) & _ Chr(i4) & Chr(i5) & Chr(i6) & Chr(n)
If ActiveSheet.ProtectContents = False Then
MsgBox "One usable password is " & Chr(i) & Chr(j) & _ Chr(k) & Chr(l) & Chr(m) & Chr(i1) & Chr(i2) & _ Chr(i3) & Chr(i4) & Chr(i5) & Chr(i6) & Chr(n) Exit Sub
Next: Next: Next: Next: Next: Next
Next: Next: Next: Next: Next: Next
Bonus Tip: How to Find Forgotten Excel File Password?
If you feel that the above method is confusing or that you are not able to follow up with the steps to unprotect the Excel file without password, then you can always depend on PassFab Excel Password Recovery. This tool will help you in removing the password within no time and too easily.
Follow these steps to use the tool:
- Step 1: Open PassFab Excel Password Recovery and import your file by clicking on the Add button.
- Step 2: Select the attack type that you want to conduct on your file and adjust the parameter of that attack. Now, tap on Start.
- Step 3: The tool will conduct a process and provide you the password to unprotect the file.
In short, you just had a look at how to get Excel password to open it. You just saw how to open Excel file protected by password. We hope that all your queries will be answered in this article. Also it is totally safe and professional to use PassFab Excel Password Recovery if you need to get the password without any difficulty. In the end, let us know your feedback on the above article. You can do this by giving us feedback in the comments below.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>