Driver Power State Failure Windows 10 is an error that leads your computer into sleep mode while you are working on it. Windows pop up this error after sending a wake signal to it when your device doesn’t respond in time.
Luckily, there are several solutions to this problem that we have discussed in this article. You can use them to fix the Driver Power State Failure error. These solutions are easy to follow and will fix this error in no time.
- Solution 1. Unplug External Hardware
- Solution 2. Smart Repair By PassFab FixUWin
- Solution 3. Disable Sleep Mode
- Solution 4. Boot In Safe Mode
- Solution 5. Uninstall Problematic Driver
- Solution 6. Update Driver
- Solution 7. Uninstall Recent Download Software
- Solution 8. Use System Restore
- Solution 9. Repair Corrupt System Files
- Solution 10. Reinstall Windows
What Is Driver Power State Failure Windows 10?
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE is an error related to a driver's failure on your computer. It is also called bugcheck 9f/bugcheck code 0x9f or bsod 0x0000009f. It is a Windows STOP code stating that your system has entered an inconsistent or invalid power state. This error occurs whenever your computer wakes up from sleep or hibernation mode. It also prevents any system or hardware harm that may occur if the driver continues to execute.
A blue screen error is an indication of the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. This blue screen error is sometimes unpredictable and leaves you frustrated. You will face this issue if one of your computer system files in a program or Windows gets crashes. Simultaneous running of the corrupt Windows files and program results in this error.
When Windows receives a stop code msdn bugcheck driver_power_state_failure, which often occurs due to a hardware or software problem, it immediately shuts down and displays a blue screen of death. This may occur at any time without notice, causing the loss of work or even data corruption. To be safe from this loss, you must save your work frequently.
What Causes Windows Stop Code Driver_Power_State_Failure?
You can install and launch BlueScreeView if you want to view the BSOD’s crash dump file. For many crashes, it will designate a file inside the collected data. Most of the time, you can figure out what hardware component is causing the issue by Googling the name online.
USB drives and other peripheral devices are the most common devices that cause a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error. The devices that cause this issue are drive docks, external SSDs, and HDDs.
An error that indicates a power drive status failure is unusual. In most cases, the error is brought on by a problem in one or more of the system's drivers. Some of the primary causes of this error are:
- Newly installed drivers that are incompatible with Windows.
- This issue may appear when Windows is restarted after you leave it in Sleep Mode.
- When your power settings are unstable.
- Power outages and shutdowns at random.
- Threats like viruses and malicious software.
Some Common Driver_Power_State_Failure Issues
This error is the cause of several complications in your system. Below are some of the common Driver Power State Failure issues that arise.
Driver Power State Failure In Windows 10 Toshiba, HP, Dell, Acer, Alienware, Samsung, Sony, Lenovo: This issue impacts almost every device since every device relies on drivers, and drivers need to have their versions maintained and up to date.
Driver Power State Failure USB: When using a certain USB device, there is a possibility that this error might occur. You may need to unplug all of the USB devices to discover the one causing the problem and repair it before proceeding.
Power State Failure On Startup, Boot: When an error of this kind pops up, the best course of action is to alter your power settings.
Driver Power State Failure SSD, Hard Drive: This error message may appear for the first time after installing a new solid-state drive (SSD) or hard disc. When this occurs, you will likely need to ensure that everything is in working order and update the drivers for your hard drive.
Driver Power State Failure Blue Screen - 0x0000009f: The 0x0000009f error screen that appears at startup is because of the problems that are associated with the drivers. Microsoft has released an update to its Knowledge Base (KB) 2983336 that fixes the issue.
Driver Power State Failure ntoskrnl.exe: Sometimes, the name of the problematic file is included in the error message. ntoskrnl.exe is the most typical source of this issue, and you will need to stop it.
How Do I Fix The Driver Power State Failure Windows 10?
You can apply several fixes to fix the msdn bugcheck driver_power_state_failure error. But, you must identify the problem before applying the fix to get accurate results. Let’s jump onto the solutions to fix this issue.
Solution 1. Unplug External Hardware
One of the reasons behind the stop code driver_power_state_failure is some problematic external hardware. You must unplug all the peripherals devices from your computer individually to identify if this is the case.
After this, restart your system, and if the system booted properly, it was one of the peripherals devices causing the issue. Start reconnecting the peripherals one by one and determine which device is causing this issue.
Solution 2. Smart Repair By PassFab FixUWin
You can try smart repair by PassFab FixUWin if you want effective results. This is one of the most beneficial solutions to help you fix the stop code driver issue. It comes with rich features and functionalities that are enough to diagnose and repair your malfunctioning systems in just a couple of clicks.
- Diagnose and repair over 200 Windows-related problems, including Windows blue/black screen, Windows won't boot, PC crashes, etc.
- The interface is user-friendly and practical even for the most basic PC users.
- Safe, and there is no need to reinstall your system, and no privacy is compromised.
- Supporting all computer manufacturers and compatible with Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7.
The procedure below will showcase how this tool fixes the Windows 10 driver power state failure issue.
- Firstly, it will diagnose your system and scan all the DLLs, Registry Keys, and System Files that damage the security threats. This tool comprises a database of millions of components that it uses to replace missing or damaged files.
- PassFab FixUWin can scan your computer for missing or damaged files and replace them with the correct ones. This works if the problem is because of corruption in the system.
- Registry errors, viruses, and missing updates trigger the BSOD and other system crashes. For this reason, it is better to use this professional tool to deal with such issues.
Now, have a look at the steps to use smart repair by PassFab FixUWin.
- Plug a USB drive into any accessible PC after downloading the software.
- Click Create Boot Disk Now to create a bootbale media.
Switch to the problematic PC and reboot it by pressing the Boot key continuously.
Usually the Boot keys are "F12" or "ESC".
- Select the USB drive you insert and hit Enter.
- After entering into the boot menu, you will see the software interface. Click Automatic Repair.
- The tool will scan and fix the problem automatically. Reastart the pc after repair complete.
Solution 3. Disable Sleep Mode
Changing your PC's power settings helps prevent driver power state failure BSODs. You must prevent sleep or hibernation, if you can't deactivate your device's power management settings,
- Using Windows PowerShell is the fastest way to turn off hibernation. Right-Click the Start menu and choose Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off into the new PowerShell window and press the Enter key.
- Open the Windows Settings menu to turn off the sleep mode. Right-Click the Start menu and choose Settings.
- Select System > Power & Sleep from the Settings menu. Make sure to choose Never from the drop-down menus in the Sleep section.
Solution 4. Boot In Safe Mode
Some of the following solutions may need to enter Safe Mode. You may begin debugging by determining whether the issue occurs in Safe Mode instead of the default boot mode.
- Hold F8 on startup to access Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). On certain devices, you may also need to press Fn.
- If you can't boot into WinRE using the keyboard shortcut, restart your computer till it begins automatically. On average, you must restart the computer three times.
- Go to Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> Restart.
- You'll see restart options. F5 enables Safe Mode With Networking. See whether your system boots after restarting.
Solution 5. Uninstall Problematic Driver
Device Manager displays Windows device status. A yellow exclamation point will appear on the icon if your device driver is missing or corrupted. Uninstalling the driver should solve the problem.
- If your PC won't boot normally, enter Safe Mode.
- Press Windows+R to open the Run box.
- Click OK after typing devmgmt.msc.
- Expand the category and locate the exclamation-marked gadget. If Device Manager has no yellow exclamation points, skip this.
- Right-Click the device and choose Uninstall.
- Reboot your PC and check if the Driver Power State Failure error is resolved.
Solution 6. Update Driver
The driver power state failure blue screen might be due to a bug or incompatibility if you haven't updated your drivers in a while. You must follow the below-listed steps to do so.
- Go to Start Menu on the left-bottom corner of the screen.
- Search for Update & Security and click on it.
- Go to Windows Update -> View Optional Updates and Expand it by clicking View optional updates .
- Click Download and Install after selecting the drivers you wish to update.
B. Updating Manually
- Press the Windows button and go to Device Manager.
- Right-click any driver you wish to update under Network Adapters by expanding the category.
- Select the drivers you wish to update.
Solution 7. Uninstall Recent Download Software
Installing new software that is not compatible with your computer often leads to driver_power_state_failure blue screen error. Uninstalling is the only way to get rid of it.
- Press Windows+X and select Apps and Features.
- Change sorting to Sort By Date.
- Click to Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen guidelines to remove the specific software.
Solution 8. Use System Restore
Your system may have a blue screen restore point. In such a situation, you may restore your system. It's like going back in time before a system malfunction occurred.
- Press Windows+S and type System Restore.
- Click on Open System Restore.
- Follow on-screen directions to restore a previous version. Choose a restoration point or use Windows 10's suggested one. Check what files and apps it will impact.
- Click Finish.
Solution 9. Repair Corrupt System Files
Corrupt system files are the most common cause of BSODs. SFC scans, or the System File Checker, make it easy to fix these files if they become corrupted. Using a system-wide scan, this tool restores all files to their unaffected versions.
- Press Windows+S and Right-Click on Command Prompt.
- Choose Run As Administrator and choose Yes on the dialog box.
- Wait for System File Checker to complete the scanning.
- It's time to move on to the DISM command now. After that, enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth into the command prompt and hit Enter.
After executing instructions, let the processes to complete. Close Command Prompt and restart your device to check whether the problem is repaired.
Solution 10. Reinstall Windows
A PC that won't recover from a blue screen must be reset. You may pick between a clean reset (which deletes everything) and keeping your files and apps.
- Hold F8 on startup to access Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). On certain devices, you may also need to press Fn.
- Select Troubleshoot -> Reset This PC.
- Select the option of your desire and follow the on-screen guidelines to complete the process.
It's possible that your power settings are to blame for the occurrence of the Windows Driver Power State Failure issue. You can follow the above-discussed solutions to fix the driver power state failure windows 10 error. If the alternatives don’t work for you, we recommend using the PassFab FixUWin tool. This professional tool is capable of resolving the issue efficiently and provides you with the results you want.