When you want to configure your network settings or do anything related with your Internet, you may want to know: what is the IP address in my computer? How do I find out IP address on Windows? Luckily you find this post, which details the step by step guide on how to find IP address Windows 10.
Part 1: How to Find IP Address Windows 10
Microsoft Windows has built-in features that allows you to check IP address in Windows easily. Here in this part you will learn 5 effective ways to find IP address on Windows.
- Way 1: Find IP Address Windows 10 in Settings
- Way 2: How to Find IP Address on Windows 10 via CMD
- Way 3: Check IP Address Windows 10 from Control Panel
- Way 4: Check IP Address Windows 10 via PowerShell
- Way 5: Check IP Address Windows 10 via Task Manager
Way 1: Find IP Address Windows 10 in Settings
One of the quickest way to find your IP address is to find it in Settings app on your Windows computer. Settings app allows you to check information and configure Windows settings, so you should be able to find your IP address here.
To find Windows 10 IP in Settings, follow the steps:
- Step 1: Press Windows key + I at the same time on your keyboard, then Windows Settings app will pop up.
Step 2: Click Network & Internet. This will launch the network settings for you.
Step 3: On the Status section, you will see your network name that is connected to the Internet, then scroll down and click View your network properties.
Step 4: Then you should see the information about your current network, then you can see IPv4 Address, and that is the IP address in your computer.
This is quite easy, isn’t it?! If this method doesn’t work for you, don’t worry. We have the other ways to try.
Way 2: How to Find IP Address on Windows 10 via CMD
Command Prompt allows you to check and view IP address information in your computer just by entering one command. This is easy even if you don’t know much about computer.
To open cmd in your computer:
- Step 1: Type cmd in the search bar from Start button, then click Command Prompt to open it.
Step 2: Type ipconfig in Command Prompt, then press Enter.
- Step 3: Then it will show you the information about your network card. Find what IPv4 Address say and you will know what your IP address is.
Way 3: Check IP Address Windows 10 from Control Panel
Control Panel is a powerful panel that you can view a lot of information and settings in your computer, including your network properties and IP address. So here we will show you how to find IP address from Control Panel:
- Step 1: Type control panel from the search bar from your Start button, then click Control Panel to open it.
- Step 2: Choose to view by large icons or small icons.
- Step 3: Click Network and Sharing Center.
Step 4: Click Change adapter settings.
- Step 5: Double click the network connection that you want to find IP address.
- Step 6: You will see a new popup and click Details.
Step 7: Then you can check IP address for Windows 10 next to IPv4 address.
Now you can find IP address in Windows 10 computer easily.
Way 4: Check IP Address Windows 10 via PowerShell
Another possible method to check IP address Windows 10 is to check it in PowerShell. Powershell is also a powerful tool for technicians.
To view IP address via Powershell:
- Step 1: Press Windows key + X at the same time, and click Windows PowerShell (Admin).
Step 2: Type Get-NetIPAddress in PowerShell and press Enter.
- Step 3: Check your IP address in the IP address field of the IPv4 block and IPv6 block.
Way 5: Check IP Address Windows 10 via Control Panel
This is a less used method to check IP address in Windows 10. Many people open Task Manager to check the task performances or configure task settings. Actually you can also check IP address in Task Manager.
- Step 1: Press Ctrl + Shift + ESC key to launch Task Manager in your computer.
- Step 2: Click the Performance tab from the top menu.
Step 3: Click WiFi on the left, then you can see your IP address.
Hope these methods help you in finding IP address in Windows 10.
These are the best 5 methods to find Windows 10 IP address, and hope you find this article helpful. By the way, if you forgot your Windows password or you want to reset your Windows password, you can try this wonderful tool - PassFab 4WinKey. It helps you remove your Windows password if you forgot it or lost it, and you can also reset your Windows password without any data loss.
Part 2: FAQs About Finding Windows 10 IP Address
Q1: What is IP address?
IP address is a string of numbers (4 sets of numbers basically) that is separated by periods that defines each PC using the Internet Protocol to communicate over a network.
Q2: Can I change my IP address on Windows 10?
Usually one computer uses a unique IP address for each network connection. If you want to change IP address on Windows 10, you can change a network connection, go to another place connecting to a different place, reset your modern, or try a VPN connection.
Q3: How to check IP address on my computer?
You can check IP address on computer in these methods:
- Check IP address in Settings
- Check IP address via CMD/PowerShell
- Via Control Panel
- Via Task Manager