“This application cannot run on your PC…………..check with the software publisher”-This is the exact error message I am getting on my PC while installing a software for my work. It is so frustrating! It was working fine before I formatted my hard disk and got a fresh Windows install. After the install, this is coming up. How to solve this issue? Please help! "
Why This App Can't Run on Your PC Happen?
For example, if you are trying to install a 32-bit program on a 64-bit Windows 10 system. Though there can be other reasons like:
- The OS or Windows 10 needs an update.
- Your current admin account on Windows 10 may be corrupt.
- Presence of malware.
- Cache overload, and more.
Common Forms of This App Can't Run on Your PC
But first, here are some common forms of the error. They are:
- “This app can’t run on your PC access is denied.”
- “This app can’t run on your PC Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast.”
- “This app can’t run on your PC check with software publisher.”
- “This app can’t run on your PC batch file.”
- “This app can’t run on your PC game error.”
- “This app can’t run on your PC Windows Store error.”
Nevertheless, whatever the problem is, we are here with a comprehensive list of solutions. We hope that it will fix the issue right away. Check it out!
Top Solutions on How to Fix This App Can’t Run on Your PC
Here are a few quick solutions to get rid of ‘Windows 10, this app can’t run on your PC’. These fixes have proven to be an effective measure for getting rid of this problem. You may find the implementation of a few of these solutions be a bit complex. So, we have also discussed the steps below.
Solution 1. Create a New Administrator Account
First, we will try creating a new Administrator account as you cannot open Windows apps. Creating a new Admin account is pretty simple. Check out the steps.
- Step 1: Navigate to ‘Accounts’ under ‘Settings’.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Family & Other Users’.
- Step 3: Choose ‘I Don’t Have This Person’s Sign-in Information’.
- Step 4: Then, select ‘Add a User without a Microsoft Account’.
- Step 5: Now, type the name and password for the new Admin account.
- Step 6: The new Admin account should be available now.
- Step 7: Now, you have to select the new account and click on ‘Change Account Type’.
- Step 8: Select ‘Administrator’ from the ‘Account Type’ menu and click ‘OK’.
According to some users, the said error message appears while they are trying to access basic Windows apps, creating an Admin account, and accessing the apps from there can be helpful.
Solution 2. Disable SmartScreen
If creating a new Admin account wasn’t helpful, then you can try using this solution where you have to disable the SmartScreen feature of Windows 10. Check out the steps…
- Step 1: Enter SmartScreen by pressing ‘Windows + S’ keys.
- Step 2: Select ‘Change SmartScreen Settings’.
- Step 3: Now, locate ‘Windows SmartScreen’ under ‘Security’.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Change Settings’ and then select ‘Do Not Do Anything’.
Finally, you need to click ‘OK’ to save the changes. SmartScreen is a built-in Windows feature designed to protect the computer from any malware attacks. But if you are getting the said error, then disabling this feature has known to be effective.
Solution 3. Enable App Side-Loading
You can easily enable the App Side-Loading using the following steps. Check them out
- Step 1: Go to “Settings’ and click on ‘Update & Security’.
- Step 2: Now, navigate to the ‘For Developers’ tab.
- Step 3: Select the ‘Developer Mode’ under ‘Use developer Features’.
This is one of the most effective ways to fix this error. But if you still have the issue, then check out the next solution.
Solution 4. Run the Copy of Your App’s .exe File
If you are getting, this app can’t run on your PC Windows 10 error when you are trying to launch a particular application, then creating a copy of the said apps .exe file may fix the problem. So, just select the .exe file of the app you are trying to run and then press ‘Ctrl + C’ on the keyboard. Then, go to a different place on your hard drive and press ‘Ctrl + V’. A new .exe file will be created. Check if this one still has the issue.
Solution 5. Update Windows Store
Microsoft’s latest Windows 10 is very easy to update. Check out the steps below.
- Step 1: Open the Microsoft Store app on your computer from the Start menu.
- Step 2: Then, click on the ‘3-Dots’ on the top right corner. Go to ‘Downloads and Updates’.
- Step 3: Finally, click on the ‘Get Updates’ button.
The Windows Store will be updated successfully. Check if you still have the issue.
Solution 6. Disable Proxy or VPN
Even after Windows update, if you are still getting, this app can’t run on your PC error, then disable the Proxy or the VPN you are using at the moment.
- Step 1: Go to the ‘Control Panel’ and click on ‘Internet Options’.
- Step 2: Open the ‘LAN Settings’ under the ‘Connections Lab’.
- Step 3: There will be a checked box beside ‘Use a Proxy Server’ in the LAN. Uncheck it.
Now, just confirm the changes and restart the computer. The problem should disappear on its own.
Solution 7. Repair Your Registry
Faulty or any corrupted registry keys may be responsible for the app problem on your Windows PC. So, if you just repair the registry, the error may disappear.
- Step 1: Click on ‘Start’ and type ‘cmd’. Right-click to ‘Command Prompt’.
- Step 2: Choose ‘Run As Administrator’.
- Step 3: Now, type ‘sfc/scannow’.
The scan will begin immediately. After the scan is complete, you need to restart your computer. Upon reboot, all corrupted files will be replaced.
Solution 8. Check your disk for errors
Apps may be unable to launch on your Windows PC due to disk errors. So, running the disk check will help you identify the issue, and you will be able to eliminate the errors within minutes.
- Step 1: Run Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Step 2: In the cmd panel type ‘chkdsk C: /f’. You can replace ‘C’ with your drive letter.
Just remember to use the ‘/f’ parameter. As ‘chkdsk’ command only displays the error, it doesn’t fix it. Only if you use the ‘/f’ parameter in the command, it gets repaired.
Solution 9. Clear your browser cache
Clearing the browser cache is also important. Sometimes, due to lack of space, download gets corrupted. Sometimes particular folders don’t get downloaded completely or fail to get downloaded at all. So, we recommend clearing the browser cache and any app that has been causing problems.
Solution 10. Clean your temporary files and folders
Cleaning the Temporary files are also important to make sure that the OS and the programs in it, runs properly. Windows comes with the built-in cleanup tool. Check it out.
- Step 1: Click on ‘Start’ and type ‘Disk Cleanup’.
- Step 2: Run the tool.
- Step 3: Choose the disk that needs to get cleaned. The toll will provide storage details and an estimation of how much space you can free up.
- Step 4: Lastly, choose to clean up the system files.
These junk files slow down your computer’s processing power, causing apps to run slowly or not to run at all.
Solution 11. Run a full system scan
We also recommend running a full scan of the system. Windows has a built-in ‘Defender’ tool; you can use it to complete the scan.
- Step 1: Click on ‘Start’ and type ‘Defender’.
- Step 2: Run Windows Defender. On the left side, click on the ‘Shield’ icon.
- Step 3: A new window will appear; select ‘Advanced Scan’.
Finally, you have to select the ‘Full Scan’ option to initiate a complete scan for malware.
Solution 12. Update your Windows OS
You also need to make sure that you are using the latest version of Microsoft Windows. Now, the Windows update is pretty simple. In the ‘Search Box’ type ‘Update’. Reach updates and install if any updates are available.
If you have already installed the new update, but the problem is still appearing, then check out the next solution.
Solution 13. Scan Your PC for Malicious Software
You also need to remove any malicious software from your PC. So, you require a deep scan of the PC. You can use the method detailed on ‘Solution 11’ of this article.
Therefore, unable to run a particular app on a Windows PC is a common problem. But it is also true that most of the cases can be fixed very easily. We have discussed the most effective methods in the above article. Check them out.
There is another problem faced by users, which makes them unable to login to their PC as they have forgotten their account password. If that happens, you can use PassFab 4WinKey to get immediate access to your Windows account without the password. This is a password recovery software that is very effective and really easy to use. Check it out as well!