Is your Windows 11 pin greyed out too? Many users cannot remove the sign-in Pin after updating Windows 11 on their computer. Here's why:
The new Windows 11 update highlights the security feature of using a Pin to sign in. Hence to access your PC, the security Pin is a must. This is why you see the Remove option greyed out when you try to remove the Pin. According to Microsoft, the Pin login is much safer than the password.
However, there are a few methods that you can use to remove the sign-in Pin from Windows 11.
Part 1: Windows Hello offers three ways to sign in to your PC.
Windows Hello offers three ways to sign in to your PC.
You can set up a numerical pin to sign in to your Microsoft account using the Hello Pin feature. You also have options to include letters and symbols in your login pin.
Windows Hello Face
You can set up a Face ID using the front camera that recognizes your facial features to unlock the device using the Hello Face feature.
Windows Hello Fingerprint
Using the Hello Fingerprint feature, you can set up a fingerprint login by adding your thumb or finger to the fingerprint recognition.
When installing and logging in to Windows 11 using your Microsoft account, Microsoft will prompt you to use a pin instead of an account password. Similarly, when you set up a facial or fingerprint recognition, you need a Pin as it acts as a backup.
Part 2: How to Remove Windows 11 Pin?
If you wish to remove the login pin from Windows 11, follow the steps below!
The facial/fingerprint recognition will also remove if you have set one.
- Click on the start menu and launch the Settings tab.
- On the Settings window, select Accounts. Then, select Sign-in options from the left sidebar.
- Click Windows Hello PIN under "Select a sign-in option to add, edit, or remove."
- Hit the Remove option to get rid of your current Windows Hello PIN.
- When prompted for confirmation, choose to Remove once more.
You'll be required to enter your Microsoft account password for verification. Click OK after entering your password.
The Pin will successfully remove from your account.
Part 3: Option Greyed Out on Windows 11! How to Remove PIN?
After installing Windows 11, some users found the Remove Windows Hello Pin option greyed out, making it impossible to delete the Windows Pin. If you're having trouble with your device, this article might be able to assist.
There are three ways you can try to remove Windows Hello Pin from your PC:
Way 1: Disable passwordless login via settings on Windows 11
- Open the Settings App using the Start button or pressing Win + I on your keyboard.
- Navigate to Accounts and click on Sign-in Options on the right window.
- Under the Additional Settings option, you will find the "For improved security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended)strong>" option. Switch off the button next to this option.
The Remove Windows Hello pin option will not be greyed out anymore. Navigate back and click on the Remove option to delete the Pin..
Way 2: Disable Passwordless Login via Registry Editor on Windows 11
The login pin can also be removed using the Windows 11 Registry Editor tool. Follow the steps below:
- Launch the Run window by pressing the Windows key and the R button simultaneously.
- To open the Registry Editor window, put REGEDIT in the Run box and press Enter. If you're asked if you want administrator permissions, choose Yes.
Go to the following path:
- On the right window, double-click the DWORD value DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion. Change the Data Value from 2 to 0 and click on OK.
Now open Settings and go to the Sign-in options. The Remove Pin option will enable.
Way 3: Remove a Pin Using the "I forgot my Pin" Option
To remove the login pin using the "Forgot my Pin" option follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings App.
- On the Settingswindow, select Accounts. Then, select Sign-in options from the left sidebar.
- Click the I Forgot My PIN link under the PIN (Windows Hello) menu. You'll be requested to reset your Windows Hello PIN after that. Continue by pressing the Enter. key.
- Windows will prompt you to enter your Microsoft account password to verify your identity and then change the Pin.
- Don't create the Pin. Instead, click on cancel to close the Pin reset window. Your existing Windows Hello PIN will remove from your machine.
When you restart your computer, two options will display; Set up my Pin or Sign-in options. Windows won't ask for a pin unless you click on Sign-in options on the screen to set it up again.
Part 4: Forgot Windows 11 Password, using PassFab 4Winkey?
If you are someone who forgets passwords often and can't access their device? Don't worry, and we have the solution for you!
Your Windows will lock if you can’t sign in with the password. However, you can use a password unlocking software to remove or reset your Windows password. It also allows you to bypass Microsoft account passwords and unlock your device within seconds.
PassFab 4WinKey is the best software to reset, remove or delete local administrator or guest passwords. Using a USB flash drive, PassFab provides a way to reset or remove Windows 11 Password. Read below to find out!
- Install and launch the 4Winkey software.
Select a bootable disk.
Choose a boot medium from the interface, such as a USB flash drive or a CD/DVD. This example shows how to use a USB drive to reset your password.
Burning the bootable disk.
Your USB/CD/DVD will be formatted, and any data stored on it will erase. Continue by clicking "Next." Wait for a few minutes till the software burns your disk.
Enter bootable disk and Restart device.
Now insert the USB drive into your locked device and reboot your system.
Navigate in Boot Menu.
Different systems have different keys to enable the Boot menu. F12 and ESC are popular commands to enter the boot menu. However, you may check for the ones which work for your machine.
Select the bootable disk and exit.
After entering the boot menu, you need to select the bootable device using arrow keys. Press F10 to save and exit. Your computer will restart again.
Reset Windows Password
From the features option, choose Reset Account Password and click on Next. Enter the new password in the box and click on Reset. Your Windows 11 password will reset.
As a security feature, Windows 11 encourages to must have a login pin. This is why many users find the Remove Pin option greyed out. However, if you wish to remove the Pin from your Windows 11 account, you can use the Settings, Registry Editor, or "For my pin" methods to activate the Remove button to delete the Pin.
If you forget your Windows 11 password and are stuck with a locked device, you can use unlocking software for password bypassing software, PassFab 4WinKey tops all. It uses advanced features that you can use to remove, reset your Windows 11 password or create and delete a Windows 11 account. We hope this article was helpful for you!