Bitlocker is a feature that enables some extra layers of security on your windows computer. But many people over the years have complained about various issues regarding the BitLocker in Windows 10. This is due to the incompatibility of using a drive that was encrypted on the previous version of windows.
If you are one of those users who are looking for a way to remove BitLocker, then this is the solution book for you. Today we will be going to talk about 7 free methods to remove BitLocker and guide you through the process.
How to Remove Bitlocker Windows 10
- 1. Remove Bitlocker from Control Panel
- 2. Remove Bitlocker Via Local Group Policy Editor
- 3. Remove Bitlocker Encryption in Service
- 4. Remove Bitlocker Encryption in Settings
- 5. Remove Bitlocker Via Command Prompt
- 6. Remove Bitlocker Using PowerShell
- 7. Remove Bitlocker from Another Computer
1. Remove Bitlocker from Control Panel
One of the simplest ways to remove bitlocker encryption is from the control panel.
To do this,
- Step 1: Go to Computer. And then open Control Panel.
Step 2: After opening the control panel, click on System and Security.
- Step 3: Now from Bitlocker Drive Encryption, click on Manage Bitlocker.
- Step 4: Once that opens, Press on Turn Off Bitlocker. You will have reconfirmed this choice once again. After doing that, your computer will be free from Bitlocker protection.
2. Remove Bitlocker Via Local Group Policy Editor
If you wondering how to remove BitLocker via the local group policy editor, follow these simple steps.
- Step 1: Go to your search bar, and search for “Group policy”.
- Step 2: From the search result, click on Edit group policy.
Step 3: Once you opened the panel, click on the following menus one after another,
- Computer configuration
- Administrative templates
- Windows components
- Bitlocker drive encryption
- Fixed data drives
Step 3: Now from the right-side menu, click on Deny write access to fixed drives not protected by BitLocker.
- Step 4: Now from the new window, select Disable, and then click on Apply.
3. Remove Bitlocker Encryption in Services
- Step 1: Press Windows + R to open run.
- Step 2: In the search menu type “Services.msc”.
- Step 3: After opening the Services window, scroll down and click on Bitlocker Drive Encryption Services.
- Step 4: Now select disable and click on Apply.
This is one of the easiest ways to remove Bitlocker Windows 10.
4. Remove Bitlocker Encryption in Settings
- Step 1: Press Windows + I key to access the Settings app.
- Step 2: Now Click on System.
- Step 3: Now from the bottom of the left side menu, click on About.
- Step 4: Now from the right-side menu, locate Device Encryption, and click Turn off.
5. Remove Bitlocker Via Command Prompt
If you are wondering how to remove Bitlocker on Windows 10, then removing Bitlocker Via Command Prompt is a viable option. You do not have to have a computer nerd to use the command prompt if you simply follow the steps given below.
- Step 1: Go to the search and type Command.
- Step 2: Now from the search result, click on Command Prompt.
- Step 3: Now type the following command: manage-bde -unlock F: -RecoveryPassword YOUR-BITLOCKER-RECOVERY-KEY.
- Step 4: Now lunch the manage-bde -off f:, and your Bitlocker drive encryption will be removed.
6. Remove Bitlocker Using PowerShell
- Step 1: Press on Windows + S key and type “Powershell”.
- Step 2: From the search menu Right-click on Windows Powershell and Run as administrator.
Step 3: Once you entered the Powershell, Type the command “Disable-BitLocker -MountPoint "A:" (Here replace A with the hard drive partition of your choice).
7. Remove Bitlocker from Another Computer
If you want to remove Bitlocker encryption but all the above steps failed, then do not worry. There is another way you can solve this problem.
Sometimes for an unknown reason, the OS does not allow you to remove Bitlocker. So what you can do is, remove the hard drive from your computer and plug it into another computer.
After doing this, you can follow the above step again to remove the BitLocker from your previous drive. Once you are done, simply replace the hard drive with its original Computer and you will be good to go.
FAQs: You May Want to Know About Removing Bitlocker
Q1: Why did BitLocker lock me out?
Bitlocker is an encryption service that offers an extra layer of protection to keep your files protected. But you are allowed a specific number of attempts to enter your pin. If the number exceeds, the encryption system thinks that someone is using brute force to access the files. In that case, Bitlocker may lock you out.
Q2: How do I disable BitLocker in BIOS?
At first, you have turn restart your computer to access the BIOS. Once it restarts, press the Del, F2, or the button enters BIOS setup for your specific model. Once you are inside the BIOS settings, open Security and go to Set SSD password. Now enter your password on the current password panel and leave the other one’s empty. Now save changes and exit to disable Bitlocker.
Q3: How do I get out of BitLocker recovery?
Once you are on the recovery screen, instead of entering your recovery screen, go next and click on Troubleshoot. Now click on advanced options and select Command Prompt. Now type the following command, “manage-bde.exe -unlock C: -rp recovery password” to get out of Bitlocker Recovery.
Extra Tips: How to Remove Administrator Account’s Password
If you are also looking for the best way to remove the Administrator Account’s Password, then PassFab 4WinKey is the perfect solution. And here is how,
- Step 1: Install the software on your computer and lunch.
- Step 2: Insert and select the media of your preference and click on “Burn”.
- Step 3: Now insert the burnt device into your locked computer and boot from it.
Step 4: Choose the preferred OS from the window.
Stpe 5: Select the account and choose "Remove Account Password".
Step 6: Once done, reboot the computer and you are good to go.
Even though Bitlocker is a great feature, the frustration it can cause many times begs to get it removed. By utilizing these 7 simple methods you can remove Bitlocker encryption without any hassle.
And if you are locked out of your account and need to How to Remove Administrator Account’s Password you can also use PassFab 4WinKey. This application is simple to use and makes your life much easier with many of its features.