Is your HP laptop screen not turning on? Are you wondering why is my HP laptop screen black and what to do when the HP laptop turns on but screen is black? If yes, you will find the best solutions to the black screen problem in your HP laptop. You can get the black screen problem in many situations, such as,
- HP screen black after update
- HP screen black after login
- HP laptop screen is black on startup
- Situation 1: What you can do if my HP Laptop Screen is Black when I turn it on?
- Situation 2: What you can do if my HP Laptop Screen Black After Startup?
Part 1: What is HP Screen Black?
When your computer screen becomes black, and you see no message or anything else, it is known as the Black Screen of Death. In these circumstances, your computer becomes unresponsive, and no commands or buttons work. Why is my hp laptop screen black? This usually happens due to system errors interrupting the operating system’s routines. However, the other possible reasons are:
- Connection issues with the display
- Display hardware problems such as broken video cables or damaged monitor
- Faulty OS updates
- Virus or malware
Part 2: What to do if my HP Laptop Screen is Black?
The black screen problem occurs for various reasons and is 100% resolvable. In this section, you will see the solutions categorized according to the situation in which you got into the problem.
Situation 1: What you can do if my HP Laptop Screen is Black when I turn it on?
Way 1: Fix Issues With Display
If there is any problem with the display hardware, it may cause the black screen issue. Check each cable and display device for physical damage. If you see any damage, replace the hardware with a healthy one. If no external damage is found, unplug the cables and replug them. If the display starts working, there was some connection issue which has now been fixed. If the issue persists, try the following:
Way 2: Refresh the HP Laptop Screen via Windows Key Sequence
Make sure your PC is on by pressing the Num Lock or Caps lock key. If the corresponding light turns on, do the following:
- Press the CTRL + ALT + DEL keys simultaneously.
- Choose the user account and sign into it.
- If you cannot sign in, click on the Power icon and restart the computer. In case the screen freezes again, press the Power button for around 10 seconds to force shut down your computer.
If the corresponding light does not light up
- Press and hold the Power button for up to 10 seconds.
- Remove the Power supply and power adapter for about 30 seconds.
- Attach the power supply to the computer again and start it.
Way 3: Hard Reset the HP Laptop
- Turn your HP laptop off and detach all the peripherals.
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds and then release it.
- Attach the peripherals and restart the computer.
Situation 2: What you can do if my HP Laptop Screen Black After Startup?
Way 4: Smart Repair by PassFab FixUWin
PassFab FixUWin is a specialized software for repairing and managing Windows computers. It is an incredible tool destined to rescue you from annoying situations such as the blue/black screen of death, PC crashing problems, stuck on a restart loop, stuck on a login screen, etc. If you want to resolve my hp laptop screen wont turn on and is black problem in a few clicks without any privacy issues or the fear of data loss, here is what you need to do:
- Install and launch PassFab FixUWin on any other PC.
- Plug in a USB and click Create boot disk now.
- Choose your USB, and click Next.
- Switch to the faulty PC, plug in the USB, and reboot it by pressing Boot Key continuously to enter into boot menu.
- And you will see the PassFab FixUWin interface. Click Automated repair to start automatic repair.
- After repair complete successfully. Click Restart.
Way 5: Boot into Safe Mode
- Force shut down your computer upon startup unless you see Automatic repair options.
- Choose Advanced Options -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings.
- Press F5 to enter the Safe mode.
Once your computer starts in safe mode, you can try running the repairing commands or other methods by accessing PC settings.
Way 6: Restart the explorer.exe Process
- After signing into the Safe mode, press CTRL + ALT + Del to launch the Task Manager.
- Switch to the Details tab, look for explorer.exe, and choose it.
- Click on the End task button in the window's lower right corner.
- Restart the laptop to restart explorer.exe.
Way 7: Perform System Restore
If you recently made any changes to your PC settings or installed some program or update after which you encountered the HP laptop screen black issue, you can undo everything and take your laptop back to its normal state by performing a system restore.
- Open Control Panel, and go to System and Security.
- Click the System -> System Protection -> System Restore button.
- Choose a restore point. Click Next.
- Click Finish to start the restoration.
After completion, restart your computer, and you will not see the black screen again.
Way 8: Update the Laptop Graphic Driver
Another way to resolve the “my HP screen is black” issue is updating the Graphic Driver as follows:
- Press Windows + X and select Device Manager from the menu.
- Expand Display adapters and right-click on the Graphic Driver option.
- Select Properties and click on Update Driver.
- Now choose “Search automatically for updated driver software” and let the process complete.
Way 9: Use HP Emergency BIOS Recovery Utility
If you recently updated your BIOS driver, it may be the reason behind HP black screen. Luckily, HP provides its users with a free Emergency BIOS recovery feature, using which you can roll back to the previous version of BIOS:
- Turn off your laptop and plug in the power adapter.
- Press Windows + B and the Power button simultaneously.
- Hold the keys unless you hear a beep sound.
- You will see the BIOS screen in a while. Choose the working BIOS version and roll back to it.
Way 10: Disable Fast Startup
- Boot into the Safe mode, open Control Panel and click Power Options.
- Click “Choose what the power buttons do” to change settings.
- Choose “Change settings that are currently unavailable” and uncheck the box against Turn on Fast startup (recommended) to turn it off.
- Restart your computer to check if you still see the black screen.
Please note that your computer will take a little longer than usual to start from now on.
Part 3: Recommended Solution to Fix Various Windows Errors
Besides the black screen error, you may get stuck on different problems while using your Windows PC such as stuck on preparing automatic repair or stuck on welcome screen. Some errors can be resolved easily and do not require much technical knowledge or experience. But, many Windows errors are too risky to resolve yourself if you do not know much about computers and operating systems.
So, the best way to fix any Windows error without risking your privacy, security, or data is by using the PassFab FixUWin. This amazing tool is designed to resolve recurring Windows errors in a few steps.
Its Smart Repair feature looks for the cause of any error and automatically repairs it.
With its user-friendly design, you can use it efficiently, even if you are new to computers. With its 100% success rate, this specialized software can also help you manage your computer resources, recover any lost data, and much more!
The black screen problem is a common Windows error that many users face. This error becomes annoying as it does not display the cause of the problem or any other message on the screen. Some users report that “my HP screen is black” and do not know why. This article mentions some solutions to get rid of the problem. However, the best yet most recommended way to fix it is using the PassFab FixUWin Windows repair program.