“Few days ago, I switched on my laptop, and it took me to the diagnose and repair section. After this, I tried to login (I use a local account only), but the PC was giving me an error "User Profile Service service failed the sign-in". I haven’t been able to login since. How can I fix this issue?”
An error like the one mentioned above is more common than you can think. Several Windows PC users have come across such an error of user profile service failed the sign in. Are you someone who is facing the same issue like the user above? If yes, we recommend you to attend to the issue immediately. This article can help you in figuring out how you can resolve the error and start using your PC normally again.
Part 1. What Does User Profile Service Failed the Sign in Mean?
The user profile service failed the sign-in Windows 10 error commonly occurs when someone logs in to a Windows computer. Several times, a simple restart can easily resolve such an error, but it is not the case every time. The user profile you are using in your computer may be corrupted, due to which this error crops up. In such a case, the user profile would need to be removed entirely. Read on to know how you can fix this error in different ways.
Part 2. How Do I Fix The User Profile Service Failed The Logon Windows 10?
Are you wondering about how to fix the user profile service failed the sign-in error? Here are 8 simple solutions for you.
- Solution 1. Create A New Windows 10 User Account
- Solution 2. Check Status of User Profile Services
- Solution 3. Boot into Windows 10 Safe Mode and Correct Registry Value
- Solution 4. Delete SID and Create A New Profile
- Solution 5. Replace the NTUSER.dat file
- Solution 6. Copy Default Folder from Another Windows 10 PC
- Solution 7. Update Windows 10 System
- Solution 8. Factory Reset Windows 10
Solution 1. Create A New Windows 10 User Account
If the above solution does not solve the issue, there might be a problem with the user account, and you may have to change it.
3.1 Create A New Local Administrator Account without Sign In
Once you have the new Microsoft account, the next step to deal with the error would be to make this new user account as the administrator account in the following way. You can use PassFab 4WinKey for this purpose.
- Step 1: Download and launch the program on a functional computer and insert a USB/CD/DVD.
- Step 2: Click on “Next” and start the burning process.
- Step 3: Take the bootable disk drive and insert it to the computer on which you are unable to log in.
- Step 4: Press the F12 key to enter BIOS and enable the inserted disk to be the first option of boot, exit BIOS and restart again.
- Step 5: Select the operating system and click on “Next”.
- Step 6: Select “Create A New Account” option and then click on “Next”.
- Step 7: Enter the new account details and click on “Create”.
- Step 8. Once done, you can restart your computer, and you will be able to login using this new admin account.
3.2 Create A New Microsoft Account After Sign In
The first step in creating a new Windows 10 user account to resolve the error of the user profile service service failed the sign-in Windows 10 is by making a new Microsoft account in the following way.
- Step 1: Enter Safe Mode using the steps described above.
- Step 2: From the “Settings” section, click on “Change PC Settings”.
- Step 3: Click on “Accounts” and then on “Other Accounts” and “Add an Account”.
- Step 4: Enter the email ID and create a Microsoft account by following the on-screen instructions.
You would have successfully created a new Microsoft account.
Solution 2. Check Status of User Profile Services
The first step would be to check the status of user profile services. You can do this by following the steps given below.
- Step 1: Launch the “Run” command by pressing the keys “Windows” and “R” together.
- Step 2: Key in “Services.msc” and hit “Enter”.
- Step 3: Search for “User Profile Service” now, and right-click on it to start the service.
- Step 4: After this, set the “Startup Type” to “Automatic”.
Once you are done with these steps, check if you are able to login now.
Solution 3. Boot into Windows 10 Safe Mode and Correct Registry Value
The Safe Mode in your computer has minimum essential software, services, and drivers. Generally, if your computer is not logging in, it logs in in the Safe Mode, where you can troubleshoot the problem. To fix the error of user profile cannot be loaded, you can boot into Windows 10 Safe Mode and rectify the registry value by following the steps given below.
- Step 1: Completely turn off your computer.
- Step 2: Press and hold the Power button to turn on the PC and then immediately press and hold the Power button to turn it off. Repeat this process until you see “Preparing Automatic Repair” on the screen.
- Step 3: Once Windows finishes diagnosing your PC, click on “Advanced Options” > “Troubleshoot” > “Advanced Options” > “Startup Settings” > “Restart”.
- Step 4: Press “4” on the keyboard if you want to enter Safe Mode without network connection or else press “5”.
- Step 5: Launch “Run” command by clicking on “Windows” and “R” keys together.
- Step 6: Key in “regedit”, hit “Enter”, and then click on “OK” when prompted.
- Step 7: The registry editor will be launched where you need to navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > "SOFTWARE" > "Microsoft" > "Windows NT" > "CurrentVersion" > "ProfileList".
- Step 8: Click on each of the “S-1-5” folders and double click on the “ProfileImagePath” entry to know which user profile is the entry related to.
- Step 9: Once you know where the user profile is, change “Value Name” to “State” and “Value Data” to “0”, and then click “OK”.
- Step 10: Double click on “RefCount” entry and change value to “0” in popup Windows.
After this, you can close everything, restart your computer and check if the problem persists.
Solution 4. Delete SID and Create A New Profile
Some users have reported that deleting SID and creating a new profile seems to solve this error of the user profile service failed the sign-in Windows 10 after update. You can do this in the following way.
- Step 1: Press the keys “Windows” and “S” together and look for “View Advanced”.
- Step 2: From the search results, click on “View Advanced System Settings”.
- Step 3: From the “System Properties” window, click on “Advanced” and then on “Settings” under “User Profiles”.
- Step 4: Select the user profile you wish to delete and click on “Delete”.
- Step 5: Once done, launch “Registry Editor” and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.
- Step 6: From the “S-1-5” folder, click on the folder with many numbers as name and check its ProfileImagePath” to see if it is your profile. Right-click on it and select “Delete”.
This method may hamper the stability of your computer, and this is why it is recommended to be used only as a last resort.
Solution 5. Replace the NTUSER.dat file
A corrupted NTUSER.dat file can also cause this error. You can fix this by replacing the NTUSER.dat file in the following way.
- Step 1: From C drive, go to “Users” and then click on “Default”.
- Step 2: Move the corrupted NTUSER.dat file to a different folder.
- Step 3: Locate this file by going to “C:\Users\Public” and move it to “C:\Users\Default”.
This should resolve the error of user profile service failed to login.
Solution 6. Copy Default Folder from Another Windows 10 PC
You can also fix the error by copying the default folder from another Windows 10 PC. Here is how you can do this.
- Step 1: On any PC, from “C:\Users” and copy the default folder to the connected USB flash drive.
- Step 2: On the PC with the issues, start it in Safe Mode, navigate to “C:\Users” and rename the default folder as “Default.old”.
- Step 3: Connect the USB flash drive and copy the Default folder from it to this location.
Once done, restart your computer and check if the error pops up again.
Solution 7. Update Windows 10 System
It may be possible that the error might be occurring due to an outdated Windows 10 system. You can eliminate such a possibility by updating your Windows 10 system in the following way.
- Step 1: From the “Start” menu, go to “Settings”.
- Step 2: Select “Update & Security” from here and click on “Windows Update”.
This is how easy it is to check and update your Windows 10 system.
Solution 8. Factory Reset Windows 10
If none of the above solutions seem to resolve the error, you would have to reset your Windows 10 laptop or PC. Before doing this, ensure that you create a backup of the important data on your files. Here is how you can factory reset your PC.
- Step 1: From “Settings”, go to “Update & Security” and click on “Recovery”.
- Step 2: Under “Reset this PC”, click on “Get Started”.
- Step 3: Choose to save or remove the stored files and reset your PC.
Once done, you can restart your computer, and it will start without any errors.
Tips: If you are a Windows 7 user, you can read this article about User Profile Service Failed the Logon Windows 7.
An error like the user profile service service failed the sign-in can be quite annoying when trying to access your computer. You can use any of the above solutions to easily resolve this problem in no time. Although all the methods are effective, the best way would be to replace the user profile causing the issue and creating a new administrator profile to use. The most efficient way to do this would be to use PassFab 4WinKey.