They say there’re no free meals in the real world, and mostly, that’s true – but not in the case of screen recording software. There’re a myriad of free HD screen recorder tools available to help you capture high-definition photos and videos.
However, choosing a trustworthy and efficient HD screen recorder is not a piece of cake – given the online world is full of fake similar tools. Keeping this in view, we have scoured the internet and picked up some of the excellent and best-performing HD screen recorders for you.
- Part 1: Best HD Screen Recorder Free for Windows
- Part 2: Best HD Screen Recorder for Mac
Part 1: Best HD Screen Recorder Free for Windows
Below is an exhaustive list of the 5 most sough-after download screen recorder HD available in 2021 for Windows users. They’re all reliable and effective in capturing HD photos and videos, you can be sure to find out the one meeting your requirements.
Top 1: PassFab HD Screen Recorder
Nothing beats PassFab HD Screen Recorder. when it comes to record and save your computer screen quickly. Having no ads and time limitations, PassFab Screen recorder has all the features of a paid, premium tool.
It has made the top of our list of the best screen recorder HD as it’s simple and easy to use, doesn’t bombard you with ads, has all the chops to help you capture the full screen or a specific area of your desktop with unlimited number of recordings.
- Extremely lightweight
- Computer audio recording
- Record your computer screen in HD
- Save output audio/video file in MP4 formats
- Upload to YouTube, Video, Google Drive, or Dropbox
- The free version with watermark
Top 2: Bandicam
If you want something beyond conventional 1080 resolution, then Bandicam is all you need. It is a robust screen recording tool that assists you in capturing 4k ultra HD videos at a high FPS. Ranked amongst the best screen recorder HD, Bandicam supports three main recording modes namely, games, external devices, and video screens.
- Allows voice mixing
- Records ultra HD videos
- Users can take screenshots
- Provides real time drawing
- Spectacular performance with small-sized files
- Doesn’t support live streaming
- Doesn’t contain an inbuilt editor to edit videos
Top 3: CamStudio
Released in 2001, CamStudio comes in handy if you want a complete HD recording tool. It has everything you need from audio recordings, live streaming, and VoIP streaming to capturing full screen and recording HD videos on Windows 10.
Simply put, CamStudio is a remarkable program with a feature set that rivals those of the more premium tools.
- Adjustable audio recording
- Can record for unlimited time
- Simple and intuitive user-interface
- Has all the basic video editing features
- Doesn’t offer scheduled recording
- Only supports Windows computers
- Limited video output formats. Only exports AVI video files
- Multiple reports of the software infecting the Windows with malware
Top 4: Ezvid
Ezvid is another tool on our list of best HD screen recorder which contains a range of cool and exciting features.
Packed with heavy editing tools, video recording, and voice capturing features, it’s an ideal software for users who want to make instructional or informational video, or add narration or convert the text to speech using the Synthesize speech option.
- Allows users to make slideshows
- A straightforward and user-friendly procedure
- Has a built-in editor with basic video editing features
- Added features of narration and voice recording for commentary purposes
- Cannot save the output. Users can export the file only to YouTube
- Many users have reported that this software slows their computers down
Top 5: XSplit Broadcaster
It is a multi-featured, powerful screen recording software which offers HD video recording along with many stellar editing features. It’s main featured include drag and drop graphics, scene creation, green screen option, and adjustable recording areas.
What’s best about this tool is that it offers advanced editing features for live streaming and game playing.
- Has a powerful built-in editor
- Offers the modern green screen option
- Allows third-party integration via URLs and files
- Can adjust recording areas including the recording space and timing
- Limited customization options
- Requires users to plug it in to add text
Part 2: Best HD Screen Recorder for Mac
Most of the afore-mentioned tools aren’t compatible with mac computers. Given this, we have rounded up 4 most efficient and free HD screen recorder software for Mac computers.
Top 1: Icecream Screen Recorder
If you’re searching for a Mac screen recorder with audio capabilities, then XSplit Broadcaster is an ideal option for you. Apart from recording external devices including webcam, Icecream recorder allows users to take screenshots and edit the recorded files.
What makes it unique it is its “on the fly editing capabilities” and its ability to play the webcam input along with audio variations to customize the process.
- Supports a range of audio and video output formats
- Offers exciting editing features after you've completed recording
- Contains switch control to allow users switch between desktop and control panel quickly
- Some users report high CPU usage
- Reports of this program spreading malware or unknown viruses
- Users can record up to only 10 minutes while using the free version
Top 2: Movavi
Released in 2004, Movavi has slowly emerged as one of the best free HD screen recorder. Easy, efficient, and fast, Movavi is a simple but highly efficient screen recorder which offer integrated editing tools including the modern video stabilization option.
It offers two main options which are Movavi screen capture and Movavi screen capture studio with a built in video editor. What’s more, you don’t need an internet connection to enjoy its features.
- Can capture multiple screens
- No time restriction on recording
- Records both computer screen and webcam
- Can save output video in multiple formats including MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, WEBM, GIF, or MP3
- Share the output files directly to many platforms including Google Drive and YouTube
- The software often crashes unexpectedly
- The free version supports only a few features
- A bit complicated interface especially for new users
Top 3: OBS Studio
OBS studio is another highly sought-after software which provides both streaming and recording in HD with no upper limit on length. Apart from offering multiple integration options with smooth transitions, OBS studio is equipped with live streaming capabilities, theme selection, and switching between scenes options.
- Intuitive screen casting features
- Compatible across multiple platforms
- Customizable hotkeys help control the recording
- No video editing tools
- Doesn’t support audio files as a source link
Top 4: Snagit
Launched by Techsmith, Snagit is a wonderful screen recorder that can record your screen quickly. Having the ability to select both a selected area and the whole screen, this powerful tool is your perfect companion if you want to share with your peers what you’re doing.
- Offers advanced image editing feature
- Offers amazing scrolling window feature
- Can save the output file in multiple formats
- Can slow down your computer
- Almost no in-built video editing tools
- Only supports two languages: English and German
This tutorial has summarized the top 10 free hd screen recorder software for both mac and Windows users. Screen Recorder tools serve a plethora of purposes and users can enjoy most features for free.
Based on your needs and requirements, you can choose any of the aforementioned software, but we recommend you to install PassFab HD Screen Recorder which offers the most exciting and stellar features a free tool can provide.