How to Recover Forgotten Login Password for Windows 10
Just like its predecessors, Windows 10 lets you protect your user accounts by allowing you to create password based access to different user accounts on your PC. This way, only the person who knows the password can get access to a specific account. However, it’s common for users who forgot login password Windows 10 user account and that’s where the issue begins.
Once the password is lost or forgotten, there is no way to directly access all your personal or professional data stored in your PC. However, you can easily reset the Windows 10 local user account password to use it as before. Here’s a quick guide on how to do that:
- Method 1. Recover Login Password for Windows 10 from Microsoft Account
- Method 2. Use PassFab ToolKit to Reset Windows 10 Login Password
- Method 3. Use Windows Password Reset Disk to Reset the Password
It’s quite common for people to use their Microsoft account with their Windows based PCs and if you’re one of those users, you’d be glad to know that you can easily reset the password for your machine. The following is how to do that.
Since your Microsoft account is integrated with your machine, you just need to reset the password for your Microsoft account and that will help you unlock your PC. You can reset the forgotten login password in Windows 10 by heading over to the Microsoft Password Reset page in a browser on your PC or mobile device. Then, select the first option on the page that says I forgot my password and hit Next.
Follow the on-screen instructions and your Microsoft account password should be reset. Then, you can use the newly created password to log-in to your Windows 10 PC.
If by chance the above option is not the right choice for you, then there is no need to lose hope. Here comes PassFab Toolkit, an application that lets any user reset their Windows 10 login passwords even if you do not have the original installation disc. The following is a quick guide on how to obtain and use the software:
1. Head over to the PassFab ToolKit website and download and burn the app onto a drive.
2. Plug-in the drive to your locked Windows 10 PC and boot your PC from it. For most devices, you can use the F12 key to enter the boot mode and boot your device from a bootable device.
3. When you see the PassFab interface on your screen, select your user account and tick-mark “Reset your password” and hit Next.
4. On the following screen, you should be able to enter a new password.
5. Click Next and your chosen password will now be applied to your user account.
You can now use your newly created password to log-in to your Windows 10 PC.
If you have forgotten your Windows 10 login password but you do have access to a recovery disk, you can use it to recover the password.
1. Plug-in the password reset disk you have into one of the disk drives or USB drives on your computer.
2. Turn on your computer and get to the login screen. Enter in any password and it will show a failed message. Just at this point, you will see an option for Reset password and click on it to open it.
3. Choose the disk where your reset password disk is located at and hit Next.
4. On the following screen, you will see fields where you can enter a new password for your user account. This is where it over-writes your existing password with a new one. Enter a password of your choice and hit Next.
5. The password should now be reset and you will see the following on your screen.
You have successfully reset the password for your Windows 10 machine using a password reset disk.
We hope the above guide helps you reset password if you forgot login password on your Windows 10 computer. You are now also aware of how to reset passwords for user accounts even without erasing the data on your machine.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>