Set computer boot from USB drive allows you reset User password if you are in the predicament of forgetting your password. Here we will introduce two ways to teach you how to set computer boot from USB drive. Keep reading to check them out!
Part 1. Ways to Set Computer Boot from USB Drive
Before you set computer boot from USB drive you should know that UEFI and BIOS have different procedures to carry out the task. We will be explaining both the methods for your convenience. So, select the right way according your own situation.
1. From USB device in BIOS/UEFI as first Boot Device Priority
Modern Windows 8/10 pre-installed computer:
- Let's say it's an ASUS system. Start the computer and hit UEFI key ('F2' / 'DEL') for getting into 'UEFI BIOS Utility' interface.
- Hit 'Exit/Advanced Mode' button and then confirm your actions to proceed.
- Select 'Boot' from sub-menu and locate 'Boot Option Priorities'. Under that, select 'Boot Option #1' and then hit on 'Enter' key.
- From the popup window pick 'USB flash drive' followed by hitting the 'Enter' keys.
- Lastly, tap the 'F10' key afterwards for saving the changes and then reboot your PC.
Note: Ensure that you've already plugged in USB device before booting up your PC so that it can detect it by the time of boot.
Windows computers with BIOS:
- Plug in the USB flash drive with your Windows system.
- Restart/turn on computer and press BIOS key ('F2' / 'Esc' / 'DEL') to get into 'BIOS Setup Utility'.
- Now, go to 'Boot option' tab and opt for 'Boot device Priority'. Select 'USB drive or USB HDD or Removable Device' as first boot device here.
- Click the 'F10' key for saving BIOS settings and then restart PC.
Here is an example of Phoenix Award BIOS:
- Tap 'DEL' and enter BIOS settings during PC startup. Now, get into the 'Boot' sub menu using the arrow keys.
- Next, you need to make use of '+' or '-' keys drag the 'Removable Devices/USB device' to the first place. Tap on the 'F10' key later on to save and exit the boot menu.
- The computer will now reboot automatically with USB flash drive.
2. From USB device using Boot Menu
In this method we will explain booting computer through Boot Menu. Here is how:
- Connect USB flash drive to your computer and turn it on.
- Click the 'Boot Option Key' ('F8' / 'F12' / 'Esc') back to back, on seeing the vendor logo on screen.
- Upon seeing the 'Boot Menu' select 'USB Disk' or 'UEFI: USB Disk' for booting the system.
Here are some examples for setting computer boot from USB device:
- Setting a HP laptop (computer) boot from USB device:
- Set Dell (laptop) computer boot from USB device:
- On Acer laptop setting boot from USB device:
Plug in USB flash drive to PC and then start/restart the PC. Hit the 'F9' key, when HP logo appears on your computer screen. Press the 'Boot Device Options' and choose the 'USB flash drive' option there.
Connect USB drive to laptop followed by starting or restarting the laptop. Hit the 'F12' key to enter Boot Menu, when it appears on screen. Choose the 'USB flash drive' option here.
Plug in the USB drive and then start/restart your laptop. Upon seeing the Acer logo, tap 'F12' to get into 'Boot Menu'. Pick 'USB flash drive' for booting computer thereafter.
Part 2. The Difference Between Boot from CD/DVD and USB Drive
When it comes to boot computer from CD/DVD, the process seems to be quite the same as that of USB. Though, process is same but there are certain differences or drawbacks for booting from CD/DVD.
- Earlier, the mainstream booting media used to install drivers or windows or system rescue disk was through CD/DVD. As the use of USB takes the rise, CD/DVDs were considered good for none.
- Read a CD/DVD you need to have a CD/DVD reader/writer installed within your PC. Moreover, just in case it gets scratches over your reading/writing head, you won't be able to make use of it further.
- If the CD/DVD drive is no longer working you'll not be able to make use of any of it until you get it repaired. On the other hand USB was widely accepted by the users due to its plug and play functionality, be it for booting, storing data or installing drivers/software.
Now that you have learnt how to set computer boot from USB device. But, we would love to introduce PassFab 4WinKey for you, which can also reset your computer password using a flash drive. This software is very intuitive and save ample time for resetting passwords. You not only can reset passwords, but also can change, create or remove it as well. Moreover, this tool is effective enough for creating a user account, for a locked Windows computer too.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>