“I just got a new computer and I only was on it once when I first got it to set everything up. I just tried to get on the computer and it asks for a password. I never set up a password. I went to account.live.com and I changed my password even though I never set one up. When I try to log on with the new password it says" You can't sign in to your device right now. Go to account.live.com to fix the problem,or try the last password you used on this device.” From a Windows User
Are you seeing the same error in Windows computer? This article will unveil all the possible solutions for “You can’t sign into your device right now” error.
Part 1. Windows Error Message: You Can’t Sign in to Your Device
Microsoft has introduced another method to sign into Windows, and that is the Microsoft account. And the reason why you see “You can’t sign into your device right now” is sort of bug issue aroused by this rule.
The error message can be displayed in either ways:
- Windows 10: You can’t sign in to your device right now. Go to account.live.com to fix the problem, or try the last password you used on this device.
- Windows 8.1: You can’t sign into your PC right now. Go to account.live.com to fix this problem, or try the last password you used on this PC.
- Windows 8: You can’t sign into your PC at the moment. Go to account.live.com to fix this problem, or try the last password you used on this PC.
Part 2. How to Fix You Can’t Sign in to Your Device Right Now on Windows 10/8
Fortunately, this error message can be fixed. You will learn how to fix “You can’t sign into your device right now” Windows 10 error by the following solutions:
- Solution 1. Restart Your Computer and Wait 10-20 Seconds Before Signing In
- Solution 2. Make Sure You Have Turned Caps lock Off
- Solution 3: Make Sure You Disconnected to the Internet Before Login
- Solution 4: Use the On Screen Keyboard
- Solution 5. Change Microsoft Password via Microsoft
- Solution 6. Reset Microsoft Password via 4WinKey
- Solution 7: Restore Your PC Using Windows Installation Disc
- Solution 8: Load Default Settings in BIOS
- Solution 9. Disconnect All Peripherals
- Solution 10. Ask Microsoft Support for Help
Solution 1. Restart Your Computer and Wait 10-20 Seconds Before Signing In
Sometimes you can find that you need to wait for a few seconds and even a few minutes for your computer to fully boot after start. “You can’t sign into your device right now” error may happen when your PC and keyboard is not fully responded.
Therefore, you can restart your computer, and then wait for 10-20 seconds and even longer, and then start signing in, and entering your password. Usually this will work.
Solution 2. Make Sure You Have Turned Caps lock Off
As we all know, the Microsoft Windows password is case sensitive, which means that upper case and lower case letters should be extremely careful. It is likely you just typed your password without giving attention to the upper case and lower case, so you see this error.
In this case, you should check your keyboard’s CAPS LOCK key, and see if you accidentally triggered the CAPS LOCK key and enabled the upper case. In a word, pay attention to the CAPS LOCK key when typing your password, and make sure you type the correct one.
Solution 3: Make Sure You Disconnected to the Internet Before Login
It is recommended to disconnect to the Internet, before you sign into your Windows account. Why? Because it may link to your Microsoft account when connecting to the Internet, and so trigger this error. Signing into your computer doesn’t require any Internet connection at all, so to avoid any potential risks and problems, try to sign in without Internet connection.
Solution 4: Use the On Screen Keyboard
If you think the keyboard could be the culprit of “You can’t sign into your device right now” error, then on-screen keyboard is your best choice. On screen keyboard is a virtual keyboard with all the standard keys on your computer screen. It allows you to type and enter by pointing the keys or clicking with your mouse on the screen.
That is to say, on screen keyboard is a great replacement for your physical keyboard, and this can prevent you from typing unexpected characters using your physical keyboard.
Still no luck? That seems you are typing the wrong password. But don’t worry. Try the next solution.
Solution 5. Change Microsoft Password via Microsoft
You will be able to change your Microsoft password via Microsoft, and then log into Windows using the new password, if you have previously linked your MS account with your computer.
- Step 1: Sign into your Microsoft account on your browser, using your current password. Then Click Security.
- Step 2: Click Change your password section.
- Step 3: It will show you a dialog to change. Enter your current password. In the new password field, enter your new password, and type it again to confirm. Note that Microsoft password is case sensitive, and it should be at least 8 characters.
- Step 4: Click Save button.
Now your password should be reset. You can go back to your computer to sign in using the new password. Good luck!
Solution 6. Reset Microsoft Password via 4WinKey
However, what if you forgot your Microsoft password and you can’t change your password? The good news is, you can reset your Microsoft password via PassFab 4WinKey, so as to resolve “You can’t sign into your device right now” error. PassFab 4WinKey is famous with its ability to remove Windows password, reset Windows account password, and delete your Windows account. By doing so, you will be able to sign into Windows device without any hassle.
- Step 1: Download and install PassFab 4WinKey in your computer that is working well.
- Step 2: Launch PassFab 4WinKey, and then choose a media tool to create a password reset disk. For example, choose USB.
- Step 3: Insert the USB to your computer, then click Next. Then the program will start burning a password reset disk for you.
- Step 4: Once done, you will see a guide to boot into BIOS from your screen. Boot your locked computer into BIOS, by following the guide given by the software.
- Step 5: Insert your USB into the locked computer, and be sure to boot using the inserted USB drive. Then exit BIOS, and restart your computer again.
- Step 6: Now you will see the prompts by PassFab 4WinKey. Choose your current Windows system, and click Next. Select the account, and select Reset Account Password. Then click Next.
- Step 7: The software will allow you to reset Microsoft password. After that, sign into your device using the new password. And you are good to go.
Solution 7: Restore Your PC Using Windows Installation Disc
You can restore your PC using Windows Installation disc, then you can fix “You can’t sign into your device right now” error.
Note: This method only works if the installation disc has been made before your computer is locked. But if you don't have any installation disc in hand, you can reinstall your PC using PassFab for ISO.
- Step 1: Insert your Windows installation disc into your locked computer.
- Step 2: Boot your computer into BIOS.
- Step 3: Choose Repair Your Computer in the Advanced Boot Options.
- Step 4: Then Install Windows screen comes up, select your language, time and keyboard.
- Step 5: At the System Recovery Option, click System Restore.
- Step 6: Follow the prompts to finish the process.
- Step 7: Now start your computer and you should be able to sign in without any problems.
Solution 8: Load Default Settings in BIOS
To fix “You can’t sign into your device right now” Windows 10 error, you can load the default settings in BIOS:
- Step 1: Boot your computer into BIOS. You can press the F2, DEL, or F12 key after the logo flashes.
- Step 2: Find the option to load the default configurations in the BIOS screen, or something similar to Reset to Default, Load Factory Defaults, Clear BIOS Settings, etc.
- Step 3: Select that option using the arrow key, and press Enter to confirm.
- Step 4: After that, log in your computer using the last password that you remember.
Solution 9. Disconnect All Peripherals
Many people have reported that they have run into various problems after connecting peripherals. So you can try to disconnect all peripheral devices to your computer, and then restart PC to see if “You can’t sign into your device right now” has been fixed. If yes, then the problem lies in the peripherals and you should reconnect your device one a time and restart computer, to identify your problem.
Solution 10. Ask Microsoft Support for Help
If, unfortunately, the above solutions haven’t resolved your problem, and you still are stuck in the “You can’t sign into your device right now” error, then the last option is to head to Microsoft support for help. You can contact the Microsoft support email or dial the support number, explain your problem in details. Hopefully the MS support will help you through it.
There you go. This article sums up all the possible solutions for Windows 10 You can’t sign into your device right now error. Meanwhile, Whenever you forgot your Windows password, or get into any Windows issues related with your password, it is always a good choice to fix your problem with PassFab 4WinKey, the best Microsoft password reset tool.