“I hope some of you can help me. I got an old iPhone from my friend because mine is crashed. The issue is that on her phone, the home button does not work. She had an assistive touch, but after I restored iPhone, the assistive touch was no longer there and I can not get into the iPhone. Instructions on internet are fine but everything suppose that you can actually get into the phone and set the assistive touch in settings. My question is if I can set it through iTunes or whatever? I am lost. Thanks for tips.” - From Apple Community
Whether your iPhone has a Home button but it is not working at all, or your iPhone doesn’t come with a Home button, there is no need to worry about it, as this article will show you in details how to unlock iPhone without Home button.
- Method 1. Unlock iPhone without Pressing Home Button with “Rest Finger to Open”
- Method 2. Unlock iPhone without Home Button with Voice Control
- Method 3. Unlock iPhone without Home Button via iTunes
- Method 4. Unlock iPhone without Home Button with iCloud
- Method 5. Unlock iPhone without Home Button with Face ID
Method 1. Unlock iPhone without Pressing Home Button with “Rest Finger to Open”
With the iOS system evolved, there is a feature called “Raise to Wake”, which means that your iPhone will be woken up and turned on screen when it is raised (while the old iPhones without the home button can be woken up by pressing the Home button). so if there is no Home button on your iPhone, you can try the “Rest Finger to Open” feature, allowing you to open iPhone by resting finger while it is woken up.
If you can’t do that right now, you should set up this feature in your iPhone settings:
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Accessibility.
- Step 2: Tap Home Button. Then tap the toggle for “Rest Finger to Open” to turn it on. This will allow you to open iPhone with Touch ID by resting your finger on the Home button without pressing it.
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode.
- Step 2: Enter your iPhone passcode to continue.
- Step 3: Turn on iPhone Unlock, and tap Add a Fingerprint.
- Step 4: Rest your finger on the Home button, and follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
If you haven’t set up your Finger ID, try this to set it up:
Once finished, you will be able to unlock iPhone without pressing Home button with “Rest Finger to Open” feature.
Method 2. Unlock iPhone without Home Button with Voice Control
Another quick way to unlock iPhone without Home button is with voice control. To unlock using voice control, you should turn on Voice Control in iPhone at first:
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Accessibility.
- Step 2: Scroll down the screen until you see Voice Control. Tap Voice Control.
- Step 3: If it is the first time you try this feature in your iPhone, then tap Set Up Voice Control, and follow the on-screen instructions to finish it. If you have already set up this feature before, then turn on Voice Control by tapping the toggle.
- Step 4: Tap Customize Commands > Basic Navigation, and check all the basic commands. And you can also tap Create New Command, and type the phrase you want to speak and tap Done, such as Unlock iPhone.
- Step 5: Once finish setting up, simply say the words or phrases you created. For example, say “Unlock iPhone” to unlock your iPhone.
Method 3. Unlock iPhone without Home Button via iTunes
As a great tool for iPhone, iTunes would be of great help for unlocking iPhone without Home button, especially when the Home button stops working or doesn’t respond at all.
To know how to unlock iPhone without Home Button via iTunes:
- Step 1: Launch iTunes in your computer. Be sure to install the latest version of iTunes.
- Step 2: Connect your iPhone with your computer via a USB cable.
- Step 3: Once connected, click the iPhone icon in iTunes, then click Summary.
- Step 4: It is recommended to click Back Up Now to back up your iPhone data in the first place. It is optional.
- Step 5: After backup, click Restore iPhone, and follow the tutorial to restore your iPhone.
After resetting, you can easily unlock iPhone without using the Home button.
Method 4. Unlock iPhone without Home Button with iCloud
Erasing your iPhone with iCloud can help unlock iPhone without pressing Home button, as long as “Find My Phone” has been turned on in your iPhone.
- Step 1: Visit https://www.icloud.com/ in your browser, and enter your Apple ID and password to sign in iCloud.
- Step 2: Click on Find My iPhone button.
- Step 3: Click All Devices, which will show you all the devices under this Apple ID.
- Step 4: Select the iPhone that is disabled or not working in the list.
- Step 5: Click Erase iPhone, and this will erase all data and content and unlock that iPhone.
Hopefully your iPhone can be unlocked without Home button using iCloud.
Method 5. Unlock iPhone without Home Button with Face ID
The newer generations of iPhone come with Face ID feature, which allows users to unlock iPhone using Face ID, even though there is no Home button with the device.
What is supported by Face ID:
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
If your iPhone is one of these devices, there is absolutely a way to unlock iPhone without Home button using the Face ID.
- Step 1: Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Enter your passcode if prompted.
- Step 2: Tap Set Up Face ID.
- Step 3: Now hold your iPhone in portrait orientation, and put your face in front of your device to tap Get Started.
- Step 4: Make sure your face is in the frame and move your head to complete the circle.
- Step 5: Tap Continue and more your head for the second time.
- Step 6: Tap Done and you are good to go.
Now wake up your iPhone, swipe from the bottom of your lock screen, and hold your iPhone in portrait orientation and put your face in front of your iPhone. This is easy, isn’t it?!
Bonus Tips: Unlock Disabled iPhone/iPad without iTunes or iCloud
Under circumstances where your iPhone/iPad is locked or disabled, and you would like to unlock your iPhone/iPad without iTunes or iCloud, then go no further! You can easily unlock iPhone/iPad using PassFab iPhone Unlocker. With this easy-to-use tool, you can bypass iPhone or iPad passcode for locked, broken, or disabled screen with just a few clicks!
- Step 1: Download and install PassFab iPhone Unlocker on Windows or Mac. Then launch the program.
- Step 2: Click Unlock Lock Screen Passcode, then connect your iPhone with your computer via a USB cable.
- Step 3: After connecting, click the Start button on the program.
- Step 4: You will be asked to download the firmware package, then click Download to download and save it in your computer.
- Step 5: Then click Start Unlock and the program will unlock your iPhone automatically. All you need to do is wait until it finishes.
After that, your iPhone will be unlocked and you can use it as a new iPhone.
Here we go. This article has introduced 5 methods to unlock iPhone without Home button, including “Rest Finger to Open”, Voice Control, Face ID, etc., and a bonus tips to unlock iPhone/iPad lock screen via PassFab iPhone Unlocker. Hopefully this article would be of help if you are having the similar problems.