Outlook is an essential part in our work and life. Usually there are two types of Outlook data files, OST and PST. OST file, also called offline Outlook data file, is to store your mailbox data on your local computer, while PST file that is called Outlook data file, is to store Outlook data saved on your computer. As for most people, convert OST to PST is more convenient.
Part 1: Advantages of Converting OST to PST
As we have introduced before, OST file stores your mailbox information on your local computer, so it is impossible to import your Outlook data to another computer from OST file. And you cannot open an OST file directly in Outlook. Besides, OST file is easily to be inaccessible so that you may lose data. Therefore, we suggest to convert .ost to .pst. Convert Outlook file from OST to PST, you can:
- Restore data from inaccessible OST file
- Migrate to another email service easily
- Import Outlook data to another computer free
- Rebuild your Outlook OST file
Part 2: How to Convert .ost to .pst
After saying the advantages of converting OST to PST, you may ask how to convert OST to PST Outlook 2016, 2013 or 2010. In the following, we offer 3 methods for you to convert Outlook OST file to PST file.
- Method 1. Use Third Party Software to Convert OST to PST
- Method 2. Export as PST File to Get PST File
- Method 3. Run Auto Archive to Save Items to PST File
Method 1. Use Third Party Software to Convert OST to PST
If you are new for Outlook or not familiar with Outlook, the best and the easiest method is to use a third party software. Most of them are easy to operate, with clear interface. Here we take Stellar Converter for OST.
1. In “Home” tab, click “Select Outlook OST”. Then choose “Browse” or “Find” to select your OST file.
2. Click “Convert” button to start the process.
3. When the process completes, you can click one item in left pane to preview.
4. Click “Save Converted File” and choose “PST”, then click “Browse” to select destination to save.
Method 2. Export as PST File to Get PST File
Without a third party software, you can also convert OST to PST Outlook 2010, 2013 or 2016. Just follow steps below to export your mailbox file as PST file.
1. Launch Microsoft Outlook, and click “File”.
2. Click “Open & Export” option, and choose “Import/Export” in the menu.
3. In the appearing dialogue, choose “Export to a file” and click “Next”.
4. Then select “Outlook Data File (.pst)” and click “Next”.
5. Select the folder to be exported and click “Next”.
6. Choose “Allow duplicate items to be create” and click “Finish”.
Method 3. Run Auto Archive to Save Items to PST File
Except for two methods we mentioned before, you can also convert OST to PST outlook 2013 and also Outlook 2010 and 2016 by “Archiving”. Now follow these steps:
1. Start Microsoft Outlook and click “File”, then choose “Options”.
2. Select “Advanced” in the menu, and click “AutoArchive Settings”.
3. Manage options in the dialogue and click “Browse” to select your destination. And press “OK” button.
4. Now items meet conditions you set will save to PST file.
Read Also:  How to Compact PST File
Bonus Tip: How to Repair Corrupted PST File
To repair corrupted Outlook PST file, we suggest you to use Stellar Repair for Outlook. With this tool, you can repair your Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, and earlier versions data files with no data loss easily.
1. Download Stellar Repair on your computer. Install and launch it.
2. Click “Select Outlook PST” in “Home” tab, and click “Browse” or “Find” in the dialogue to select corrupted PST file.
3. After selected the file, press “Repair” button to start repairing the file.
4. Once the process completed, you can click one item in left pane to preview.
5. Click “Save Repaired File” and select the format and destination to save recovered file.
FAQs about OST Files
Q1: Can you import an OST file into Outlook?
Outlook cannot import data directly from OST file, if you want to import data in OST file, you should convert it to PST first.
Q2: How do I create an OST file?
First, open Outlook and click “File”. Choose “Info” and click “Account Settings” in the menu. Click “E-mail” tab and choose “Microsoft Exchange”. Then select “More Settings” and click “Advanced”, select “Offline Folder File” and select destination. Last, click “OK”.
Q3: Can I open an OST file on another computer?
No, you can’t import OST file directly to another computer. If you want to do so, convert it to PST first.
In this article, we introduced the advantages of converting OST to PST, and several ways on how to convert OST to PST. Besides, we mentioned how to repair corrupted PST file without data loss using Stellar Repair for Outlook. And if you need to recover password for Microsoft Office, try PassFab for Office.