“Need a way around password on administrator account in windows 7 new machine and during setup password was entered accidentally and don’t know it. Data from old machine is transferred so I do not want to do a complete re install of operating system or I will lose data HELP!!!!!!!!!! anyone????"
It’s really frustrated and annoyed when you forgot the password. Please keep clam! Before knowing about the ways how to unlock admin password Windows 7, let us clarify two Administrator accounts in Win7 system:
|Built-in administrator account||It is automatically generated administrator account with a blank password, and has the highest system authority, but the system is disabled by default.||If you forgot the normal admin password, the ways referred in Part 2 all work for you.|
|Normal administrator account||It is created by a super administrator with limited permissions.||If you enable the built-in administrator account and changed the password, you can also find solutions in Part 1.|
I suppose that you had known admin accounts you forgot. Well let’s explore the different ways to unlock windows 7 Admin password.
- Way1: Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password with Password Recovery Tool: PassFab 4WinKey
- Way2: Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password with Command Prompt
- Way3: Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password with Built-in Administrator
- Way4: Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password with Password Reset Disk
- Way5: Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password by Restoring Windows 7 to the Previous State
Way 1:Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password with Recovery Tool: PassFab 4WinKey
You guys may ask “how to bypass windows 7 admin password?, the simplest way is applying the PassFab 4Winkey (windows password reset tool) with an attractive yet easy-to-use graphical interface. Using the presence of such a lifesaving tool, you no longer need to reinstall the Windows or adopt other ways to log into your locked system.
This tool is 100% secure, uses advanced technology, and can be installed in any version of Windows. Also it is 100% safe and does not affect any of your computer data. To use PassFab 4WinKey to change Administrator Password Windows 7, follow these steps:
- Download, Install and launch PassFab 4WinKey
- Create a Bootable Device
- Boot Windows System from the USB/CD/DVD
- Reset Windows 7 Admin Account Password
● Now, select Boot Media (a USB flash drive would be the best to be used as Boot Media) and click on the Next button:
Now, you will be prompted that all the data in the USB drive will be removed. Click on the “Next” button.
PassFab 4WinKey will start to burn the bootable disk on your USB/CD/DVD. Once the bootable disk is ready, plug out your device.
● Insert your Bootable device into the PC you want to unlock.
● Restart or turn on the PC and press the F12 key to enter the Boot menu.
● After you have successfully entered the Boot menu, go to the Boot Device Priority.
● Press Enter: Now set your USB/CD/DVD on 1st priority and press F10 to preceed. After you have done the above steps, your PC will restart again.
● After choosing the Windows system and the Admin account, choose Reset Account Password from the features.Click on the Next button
● When the following dialog box appears, enter the new password.Click on the Reset button
● Wait for the process to complete and click on the Reboot button when the following dialog box appears
After your PC restarts, log in to your Admin Account using the new password.
The whole process takes about 10 minutes, and you don't need to know the technical knowledge about computer. Certainly if you’d like to bypass administrator password windows 7 without paying for the recovery tool, you can refer to other tested methods in this article.
Way 2:Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password with Command Prompt
Realizing that windows 7 forgotten administrator password is never an appreciable moment especially when it is the Administrator account. But there is a way to bypass the Administrator password Windows 7. To do so, follow these steps:
Reboot your PC with Windows PE.And click on the "Repair your computer" link
When the following window appears, click on “Command Prompt”. The Command Prompt box will pop up.
Now, enter the following command to back up the original sticky keys file
- Press Enter. A message will appear saying “1 file(s) copied.”
Now you need to copy the command prompt executable file over the sticky keys executable file. To do so, use the following command, and Press Enter.
You will be asked whether to overwrite the c:\window\System32\sethc.exe. Type “Yes” and press Enter. A message will appear saying “1 file(s) copied.”
- Now Reboot the PC. Once the login screen appears, press the Shift key five times.
- The Command Prompt will appear with Administrator privileges. Enter the following command to set a new password for Admin Account and press Enter.
- Don’t forget to replace “username” with your account username and “new_password” with a new password of your choice. Simply put, this is going to be the new password of your admin account.
You have successfully been resetting Windows 7 Administrator password. Just restart your PC and log into the Administrator account with the new password.
As you saw, this method is a little bit difficult if you aren’t familiar with the technical knowledge. Don’t be discouraged. Please read continually, there are appropriate ways for you in this part, or you can unlock your laptop with the above software which is easy to operate and 100% working.
Way 3: Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password with Built-in Administrator
As mentioned above, a default administrative password is created while you install windows system. This administrator account has a blank password unless you create for the specific purpose. Thus, you can use the hidden administrator to unlock your other admin password in safe mode.
If you had enabled the administrator, but you said “I forgot my administrator password windows 7, how to do?” so please operate and unlock your admin password in the following steps. If not enabling, this method doesn’t work for you, you can consider to choose other ways.
- First you need to "Boot" your PC.
- Make sure to press key F8 again and again in order to get "Windows Advanced Options Menu".
Now you need to choose "Safe Mode" and press "Enter".
- You will be able to see log in screen just log in with "Admin" account.
- Choose "Start" go to "Control Panel" and then choose "User Account" and at the end choose a locked administrator to reset its password.
Way 4: Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password with Password Reset Disk
Password reset disk is useful which is a disk created with a USB flash drive using a local account before forgetting the password. If there is a reset disk being available for you, Congrats! It is time to use it for resetting windows 7 Administrator password. Just insert your Password Reset Disk and follow these steps:
- When the login screen appears, enter any wrong password in the Password field and press Enter. An additional sign-in option “Reset Password” will appear below the Password field.
- Click on the Reset Password link. The Reset Password Wizard will open.
- Click on Continue and choose your password reset disk from the drop-down list and again click on Continue. The following window will appear:
- Now type a new password.
- Enter the password hint if you want to and click on the Next button.
- Click on the Finish button to complete resetting the password.
Your Administrator account password has been reset successfully and now you can log into your Windows 7 Administrator Account with the new password.
Way 5: Unlock Windows 7 Admin Password by Restoring Windows 7 to the previous state
If you changed your Windows 7 Administrator Account password recently but do not remember it now, and your Windows Restore settings are turned on, Windows must have created a restore point when you changed the admin password. You can restore Windows 7 to the previous state to unlock Windows 7 Admin Account.
All the changes made after the previous restore point was created will be removed and you will have to reinstall all the applications.
To restore Windows to its previous state, follow these steps:
- Insert Windows 7 Setup Disk and restart your computer.
Press and hold the F8 key unless the Advanced Boot Options window appears:
- Choose “Repair your computer” and press Enter.
- Select keyboard language, set time and currency formats, and click on the Next button. Now system recovery options will appear on the screen.
- Choose “System Restore” and click on Next. Meanwhile, choose the disk you want to restore Windows from and click on the Ok button.
- Click on “Finish” when the hint appears on the screen, then click on Yes.
- Restart your computer. After logging in successfully, change the forgotten Windows 7 Administrator Password to bypass the Administrator account.
Bingo! You have successfully finished windows 7 password bypass procedures.
Now that we have seen the 6 best ways to unlock forgotten Windows 7 administrator password, let’s see some related questions you should know about the administrative account.
Part 2: Enabling the Built-in Admin but Forgot Password windows 7
If you enable the default administrative password, but change the password for some reasons. You can take full advantage of administrator privilege, here’s the really easy fix.
- Open Control Panel > User Accounts and select the option that allows you to change other accounts
- Select the Administrator account.
- Turn off password required. Changing this option will not require a password.
ALSO, you can choose the thirty-party software (PassFab 4Winkey) to unlock.
The default administrative password does not have a password by default, so if you plan to use it, or you really need this account for a specific reason, otherwise it is best not to use it as the primary account due to security breaches.
Part 3：Related Questions You’d Better Know about Admin Account
Q1:Should I create a normal administrator account?
I highly recommend that you should create one or more normal administrator accounts except for the built-in admin account, which is the best way to protect computer privacy and avoid information leakage.
Q2:What’s the built-in administrator for?
When you first install and set up your laptop, the first account you create will be the built-in administrator or hidden administrator which is the most privileged. It has the proper name, namely, administrator account. Why does the built-in administrator account exist in the first place? It’s mostly for OEM system builders, who may want to tweak the system before the out-of-box experience is complete.
The administrator is disabled by default in general. And actually you should disable it because of its free across your entire system, which makes it a security vulnerability. If you enable the hidden administrator, you’d better reset the password to security.
Q3:How to enable the built-in administrator?
There are two ways to enable the built-in administrator.
- Press "Ctrl + R" to open the "Run" command box, enter "lusrmgr.msc" and click "OK" to open the local users and groups window.
- On the left side of the panel, select the "Users" folder to get a list of account names in the middle of the panel.
- Find the "Administrator" entry and double-click to open its properties panel.
Uncheck the "Account is disabled" option under the "General" tab. Click the "Apply" button to enable the super administrator account.
In a nutshell, I have defined different ways to Unlock and Reset Windows 7 Administrator Password in this article. Some of these ways are two complex and an inexperienced user may hesitate to adopt them as they require some system settings to be changed, for example, changing administrator password using Command Prompt. As an experienced user, if I ever run into such a problem, I would prefer to use the PassFab 4Winkey Password Reset tool as it is easy to use due to its graphical user interface and does not change any system settings. You should also Purchase PassFab 4WinKey now and take advantage of its excellent features.