You may have seen that on certain computers, there is an account named Administrator. Ever wondered, what is it? This article will tell you everything you need to know about the Windows Administrators.
We will answer all your queries below.
- what is their role?
- How do I change the administrator?
- why I am not the administrator on my computer windows 10?
- where and who is the system administrator on my computer?
- how to sign into my PC as an administrator?
Part 1: What is the Role of Administrator in Windows?
Basically, Windows or system administrators are the ones who specialize in setting up, installing, and maintaining the windows server. Mostly, system administrators are people of IT departments. In general, the role of system administrators includes installing windows, technical support, and performing time-to-time system maintenance.
Part 2: Who is the System Administrator on My Computer?
Generally, system rights will allow you to perform many tasks like making system changes, installing the software, etc. However, you may be thinking about who is the system administrator on my computer and where to find it. So, here we have come up with two simple methods to know who the system administrator is on my computer.
Way 1: Via Windows Settings
The simplest method to find the administrator rights is to check the windows settings. If you are using windows 10, see the steps below:
- Firstly, open Settings and then, navigate to “Accounts” and “Your info.”
Here, you will see the currently signed-in user account on the screen. So, if you are an administrator, you will see the word “Administrator”. It will appear under your account name.
Way 2: Via Control Panel
If you are using windows 7,8, and 10, you can check it through Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel. Then, go to User Accounts and user accounts.
Then, if you see on the right side, there are your current logged-in user accounts. If the word “Administrator” appears under your account, it means you have the administrator rights.
Part 3: How do I Change the Administrator on My Computer?
Let's now see how do I change the administrator on my computer using 4 methods. So, let's begin.
Way 1: in Windows Settings
Are you wondering why I am not the administrator and how do I change to the administrator on my computer windows 10? Actually, you can easily do it in windows settings. See the steps below:
- Open Settings. Then, go to Accounts.
- Then, select Other Users.
- Click your Admin account.
Click “Change Account Type”.
- Then, select “Administrator” and click OK.
Way 2: in Control Panel
You can change to administrator account via Control Panel. Just, follow the steps below to do it:
- Open control panel. And then, set “View by” to category.
In User Accounts, select “Change account type”.
- Then, you will see the manage account window. Click the user you want to make the administrator.
Click “Change the account type” option in the left of the window.
- Next, put a check on the Administrator box and click Change Account Type.
Way 3: In User Account (netplwiz)
Another method to change the account type is to use a managing tool. It is called netplwiz. Basically, it works on window vista,7, 8, and 10. Check the steps below to get an answer to your “how do I change the administrator on my computer” query.
- Open Run window by win key + R. Type “netplwiz” Hit Enter.
- Then, you must check the box with “Users must enter a username & password.” Here, select the user name and click properties.
Then, go to Group Membership. Check the Administrator button and hit OK.
Way 4: Via Command Prompt
You can also use the command prompt to change the administrator on my computer. Just follow these simple steps and you are good to go.
- Open the command prompt.
- Next, you need to use netlocalgroup command with the user you want to make an administrator. For instance, net localgroup Administrators Tom/add
Hit Enter and your selected account will now be an administrator.
Part 4: How to Sign Into My Computer as Administrator?
So, now you know how do I change system administrator on my computer, let's now see how to sign into it. Basically, you have an administrator account on your computer, but it’s hidden. We will discuss three methods on how to enable it to answer your query “how to sign into my computer as the administrator account”. So, let’s start.
Way 1: In Computer Management
Check the steps below to learn how to sign into my computer as an administrator.
- Open Run window by pressing win key + R.
- Type “control userpasswords2” and navigate to the Advanced tab.
Then, under the section of “Advanced User Management,” select Advanced.
A window will appear with Users and Groups folders. Here, double-click on the Users. It will show a list of all local users created on the system.
- Then, right-click “Administrator”. Choose Properties.
- Uncheck the box “Account is disabled” and hit OK.
Way 2: via Command Prompt
You can sign in to your computer as an administrator via command prompt. Check the steps below to see how to sign into my computer as administrator:
- Open the command prompt as an administrator.
Then, run the command net user administrator /active:yes to activate the administrator user.
- If you want to set a password for the administrator, you can do it by command net user administrator *
- Finally, when you log in next time, you will see the Administrator account on the screen. Enter the password you previously set to login to the computer.
Way 3: in Group Policy
If you are already a system administrator, you can enable default administrator users. You can do it via Windows Group Policy. So, check the steps below:
- First, open the run window and type gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy Editor.
Then, move to Computer Configuration and then go to Windows Settings. Select Security Settings and then local policies. Here, you will see Security Options. Click it.
- Now, in the right-hand pane, you need to open “Accounts: Administrator Account Status.
- It is by-default disabled. Click “Enabled” to enable administrator account.
Now, you know what system administrator is and what their responsibilities are. We also addressed all your questions like how do I change the administrator and why I am not the administrator on my computer windows 10. Also, queries like where and who is the system administrator. Moreover, we discussed how to sign into my computer as an administrator. So, that was all about system administrators.
If you unforforget the windows password, while setting up new passwords for administrator accounts. In case, you ever forget, try PassFab 4WinKey. It is an amazing tool to recover, reset, remove, and unlock login passwords for Windows.