How to Reset Windows XP Password/Administrator Password
Administrator account has a privileged access to the device regarding changing the settings of the system and performing many more tasks which a user account cannot perform. For instance, a user cannot change the system settings, install any software, etc. so that the system stays intact.
Each Windows version be it Windows 7/8/10/vista/XP can be locked with the admin and user password. However, the user shall know how to reset Windows password in case he forgets the password of the admin or user account to log on to the computer. In this article let us know ways of Windows XP password reset.
Part 1: How to Reset Windows XP Administrator Password
Option 1: Windows XP Password Reset via Command Prompt
If you have forgotten the password of any account, you can easily perform XP password reset by logging into another administrator account. Following is the stepwise guide for Windows XP admin password reset:
- Step 1: Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
- Step 2: Here, reset your password, by entering following command: net user username (space) new password
- Step 3: Now you can log into the user account for which you forgot the password with the new password.
Option 2: Reset Windows XP Password in Safe Mode
While installing Windows XP, there is an in-built Administrator account. This account is not password protected. However, if you create another user account, the Administrator account gets automatically hidden from the logon screen. This default administrator account is accessible in safe mode and traditional logon screen. Following are the details of the two methods:
- Boot the PC by pressing "F8". You will enter "Advance Boot Options" screen. Here, choose Safe Mode and press Enter. You will now see default Administrator account displayed at the login screen. Now you can reset the password of any user account.
- Boot the computer normally. On the Windows XP welcome screen, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete twice. The traditional logon screen shall appear. Type "Administrator" in the User Name box and press "OK". With this, you have logged on to the administrator account and change the password of any other account of which you have missed on the password and need to create a new password.
Part 2: How to Reset Windows XP Administrator Password with PassFab 4WinKey
PassFab 4WinKey is compatible with Windows XP and is of great help to unlock the locked laptop wherein the user has forgotten the password for login into the administrator account. It is a simple password recovery software for Windows devices. The data stored on the device is very safe when you perform Windows XP admin password reset using this tool. This tool is of great help when one is left with no support to unlock the locked PC. Following is the detailed guide for using this software:
Step 1: Steps make a bootable disk/USB flash drive:
- Step 1: Download and install PassFab 4WinKey on Windows PC to which you can have access.
- Step 2: Select a boot media(USB/DVD/CD) and click "Burn".
Now that a bootable device is successfully created, one shall proceed as per following guide to reset the password.
Part 2: Firstly, the user shall boot the PC with the above bootable device by following steps:
- Step 1: Insert the bootable USB or CD/DVD to your locked Windows PC.
- Step 2: Restart the computer and press "F12" or "ESC" to enter the Boot Menu Interface.
- Step 3: A list of boot choices shall appear on the screen, including the USB/CD/DVD which you have inserted. Select the device you have inserted. Select the boot device that you have created in Part 1 above.
- Step 4: Once you enter the locked Windows from boot disk, a password recovery interface shall appear. Here, you get an option for Windows XP admin password reset.
Step 3: Reset Windows XP password for Administrator Account:
After the above process, in this part, one shall set up a new password which he has forgotten of his laptop or desktop.
- Step 1: Choose Windows XP and select "Reset your password" option.
- Step 2: Select the Admin account from the list. The username of this account shall be displayed in "User Name" box. Also, a new default password is automatically generated and displayed in "Password" box. You can either use the default password or enter a new password in "New Password" box and reset the password.
- Step 3: Click "Next" and new password shall be reset. On the screen, tap "Reboot" to restart your computer and log on to Windows XP with new password.
So with the end of this article one must be well versed with how to reset windows XP password. However, if one forgets Administrator password PassFab 4WinKey shall be great savior for Windows XP admin password reset.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>